POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 166 to 175 of 195)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 16 Sep 2011 13:15:35
Message: <4e738437$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:01:51 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/16/2011 9:54, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I don't see a need to regularly reboot Linux servers either, unless
>> there's a kernel update.
>
> So when the memory leak in your Linux-based wireless access point
> crashes your machine, what do you do?

I report the bug with supporting data, build the latest version of the
code, and try to fix it.  I don't just reboot it.

In fact, I went through something very similar to this not long ago - my
wireless router/access point runs openWRT, and a recent update borked the
atheros driver.  Rebuilt the older kernel, reported the bug, and applied
the downgrade.

> When your cable box no longer
> synchronizes with the cable provider, or you get a new configuration
> pushed to your cable modem from the head end, what do you do?

Well, I don't have cable any more (it was an expense we had to cut when I
was laid off).  But that's an appliance, not the same as "running a Linux
server" in my book.  If Comcast wants to reboot their box, they can
reboot their box.

> When you
> update the PRL on your android phone, what happens after the new PRL is
> stored?

Again, not a Linux *server* - it's an appliance.  If Verizon decides the
phone needs rebooted, then it gets rebooted.

There's probably a way to do this without rebooting the device
(especially if it's rooted), but often times it's just simpler to reboot.

That doesn't mean a reboot is *necessary*, which is what we were
discussing.

Jim

Post a reply to this message