POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Sep 2011 15:00:29
Message: <4e739ccd$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/16/2011 10:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
>  not the same as "running a Linux server" in my book.

I agree. That's precisely my point.  Saying "you never have to reboot a
Linux machine except for kernel upgrades" is incorrect. It assumes the box
has all the tools it needs to manage it without rebooting, and it assumes
your software environment isn't hardened against you manipulating it in the
ways described.

> That doesn't mean a reboot is *necessary*, which is what we were
> discussing.

OK, so how do you upgrade your PRL without rebooting your phone? My point is
that claiming "you don't have to" assumes a whole bunch of facts that
aren't true just because you're running Linux.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?