POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Sep 2011 15:57:59
Message: <4e73aa47$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:00:28 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/16/2011 10:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>  not the same as "running a Linux server" in my book.
>
> I agree. That's precisely my point.  Saying "you never have to reboot a
> Linux machine except for kernel upgrades" is incorrect. It assumes the
> box has all the tools it needs to manage it without rebooting, and it
> assumes your software environment isn't hardened against you
> manipulating it in the ways described.

You specified servers and desktops - not appliance devices.

I also never said "you never have to reboot a Linux machine except for
kernel updates".  I said "you usually never have to reboot a Linux
machine except for kernel updates".  There's a world of difference in
those two statements.

I also very specifically stated that if you're dealing with zombie
processes, a Linux system *requires* a reboot to the best of my knowledge.

>> That doesn't mean a reboot is *necessary*, which is what we were
>> discussing.
>
> OK, so how do you upgrade your PRL without rebooting your phone? My
> point is that claiming "you don't have to" assumes a whole bunch of
> facts that aren't true just because you're running Linux.

I've never had a need to, so I don't know.  Presumably you could stop a
service or unload/reload a driver, or drop to single user mode and then

Jim