POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Memories (Message 1 to 10 of 94)
From: Invisible
Subject: Memories
Date: 19 Aug 2011 08:00:25
Message: <4e4e5059$1@news.povray.org>
As part of the drive to empty our house of useless crap, I was going
through some of my old college work last night. Ah, the memories.

I still chuckle at my first few programming assignments. We were
learning to use Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5 for MS-DOS. The guy teaching us
only found out two weeks earlier that we was taking the class, so he had
two weeks to learn Pascal out of a book. Frankly, they should probably
have just given us that book! (Also, his name was Frank.) He wasn't
/bad/ at teaching, but it was somewhat baffling to walk into a classroom
and discover that I know more about the subject than the lecturer does.

The comments on my first assignment indicated that it works well, "and
you've even added a few extra procedures you weren't asked for" (in
other words, I factored the problem more thoroughly), "but comments are
rather sparse". Considering that the entire source code print out was
literally 3 pages long, there's not a hell of a lot to comment on. No
non-obvious design decisions or tricky invariants to document. If you
understand Pascal, the code is pretty much self-explanatory. It's a
first-year college assignment FFS!

My second assignment is even more amusing. The actual phrase the
lecturer used was "...the program works, but is a little overly complex
for mere mortals like me to understand." Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you
were supposed to be the frigging *expert* that we've all paid good money
to be taught by! :-P

In fairness, as well as writing the code for the actual assignment, I
did also write an entire library module that's triple the size of the
main program, and which allows me to print nicely formatted output. (I
forget the exact details now. I think it was just number alignment so
all the decimal places line up.) But I put it in a separate source file
and made it really easy to read the main program without having any idea
how the library actually works. And I put comments in the library
explaining what each procedure does (not that the names didn't make it
self-evident anyway).

Then again, splitting a program into more than one module was beyond the
scope of our course. (!) We were never taught the syntax for doing this.
(It's not like C where you just write more files. In Pascal the main
program source file has a different structure to library modules. You
have to declare the public interface, for one thing...)

This experience of knowing what the lecturer is going to teach us before
he even opens his mouth turned out to be a recurring theme of my path
through college and university. At the time I just felt smug for being
better at Pascal than Frank was. By the time I was in my 3rd year at
university, I was beginning to feel frankly a little outraged that I was
being charged vast sums of money (tens of thousands of pounds, more
money than I will ever own) to listen to lecturers who can't speak
English properly and/or don't have a damned clue WTF they're talking about.

(Not /all/ the lecturers were this bad, of course. But some of them were...)

In one of Frank's other classes, we learned all about binary and
floating point. The former was of course no longer news to me. Spend 10
years poking bytes into the control registers of the 6581 (that's the
MOS Technology Sound Interface Device [S.I.D.] to you) and you learn a
thing or two about binary, computers, processors, addressing modes, and
so on. Floating point was all new to me though.

Then there were the lessons on logic gates. (You had to know what they
are. You weren't required to know what to do with them or why they
exist.) Again, old news to me, having already spent years playing with
physical 7400 chips. Taking a harddrive apart was fun though. (And
probably ****ing expensive, I should think. This is the era when "4 gig
drives don't grow on trees".)

And then there were the Quants lessons. ("Quantitative Methods") This,
as best as I can tell from my lecture notes, was simply an orgy of
mathematics. It's all in the bin now, but I skimmed through pages and
pages of statistics, polynomials, linear algebra, fractal geometry, 3D
graphics, Polish reversed lists, chaos theory, cryptography, sound
synthesis, and God-only knows what else. I should note that only about
half of this stuff is directly related to anything in the syllabus. The
other half is just me doodling while bored in class. (Something that
DJK, our lecturer, seemed to actively encourage.)

I actually found the sheets of paper where I first performed the
derivation of the binomial theorem from first principles. You cannot
simply /tell/ me that (A + B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2. I have to know /why/
this is true. And why is it that (A + B)^3 isn't A^3 + 3AB + B^3? There
must be a pattern. And damnit, I'm going to find it.

This apparently involved drawing a grid:

   +------+---+
   |      |   |
   | A^2  |AB | A
   |      |   |
   +------+---+
   |  AB  |B^2| B
   +------+---+
      A     B

I think you can see where this leads. Next I drew the same thing, but in
3 dimensions. That took me a bit longer. After that, I wanted 4
dimensions, but was forced to abandon geometry and simply shift algebra
by hand. The final expression may be small, but some of the intermediate
terms are quite large, and it's easy to make mistakes as you repeatedly
copy and manipulate the terms step by step.

After laboriously tabulating the expansions up to (A + B)^9, it became
quite obvious what the general pattern was. But what the hell are the
coefficients? Where do they come from? It took at least another hour of
shifting algebra around and scrutinising my work before I discovered
that collecting like terms caused the coefficients to be computed in a
way exactly matching the definition of Pascal's triangle.

DKJ offhandedly told me that I had discovered "the binomial theorem".
Consulting the library, I learned that this little puzzle had been
solved over a century ago. AND FOR NEGATIVE EXPONENTS! >_<

This again is a typical experience in mathematics. Any problem which you
can imagine has either been solved several hundred years ago, or else is
impossible to solve. There are no easy unsolved problems. I had the
feeling of being in the centre of a field of ideas, looking at all the
familiar, well-known stuff. All the new, unknown stuff would be at the
far reaches of the field, involving problems so complicated I wouldn't
even understand the language.

The first time we were in the computer lab, DKJ got us to graph some
trivial polynomials which supposedly represented various things. (E.g.,
rather than give has a data set representing the company's monthly
income, he would think up a cubic off the top of his head and get us to
tabulate and graph that - an easy task for Excel.) I of course was
bored, and so I ended up graphing my standard incantations. The harmonic
expansion of various waveforms. The chaotic behaviour of the logistic
and lambda maps. And so forth. As I recall, it caused quite a stir among
the chavs I shared a classroom with. For five minutes.

I recall on another day, we had one formula which yields the company's
income for each month, and another that yields the expenses for each
month. We were using this to understand the concepts of profit, loss,
break-even, etc. This was a classroom exercise, so everybody sat
laboriously tabulating these formulae by hand.

Obviously, I immediately realised that I could directly tabulate the
company's monthly profit simply by subtracting one formula from the
other, simplifying the algebra, and then tabulating that. But then DKJ
wanted us to compute the profit growth rate. I duly tabulated the first
few months of profit and computed the difference between consecutive
rows. But I couldn't help feeling that there ought to be a /pattern/ to
the results.

After about 15 minutes of experimentation, I managed to successfully fit
a quadratic curve to my data. Literally, I had a formula that produced
the exact same numbers as the curve I was laboriously tabulating. And
it's the damnedest thing: the coefficients of this new formula seemed to
be /related/ to the original formula. Well, it seemed obvious to me that
such a relationship /should/ exist, but what exactly was its nature?

While everybody else continued the tabulation of growth rate that I had
long since finished by halving my workload, I picked formulae at random,
tabulated their growth, and tried to fit curves to them. This is quite a
lot of work, and I never did figure out exactly what the relationship
was. At this point, DKJ came over and informed me that I had just
invented differential calculus, and showed me the general formula for
the derivative of any polynomial.

I remember being quite suspicious of the perfect constants in the
expression. "Is that really 3? Or is it 2.986 or something?" No, it's
*exactly* 3. Needless to say, I went and found a book which explained
all this in far more detail than the 5 minute conversation I had in
class, and now I understand /why/ all of these beautiful patterns are so.

While sorting through all this paperwork, there was one assignment I
felt compelled to keep. The assignment, quite simply, was to write a
program to "do graphics". Literally, any sort of program you write which
produces pretty graphics is OK. While DKJ was explaining on the board in
excruciating detail how to draw a simple rotating square, I was typing
away at my computer, which I had already got drawing a rotating
wireframe 3D cube.

It was around this time I was playing with complex numbers. For years
I'd been baffled by the descriptions telling me that the Mandelbrot
formula is z := z^2 + c, but the formula is /also/ x := x^2 - y^2 + a, y
:= 2xy + b. Clearly z = x + yi and c = a + bi. But how do you get from
one formula to the other? It made no sense, and nothing anywhere
explained it.

One fateful day, I tried applying the binomial theorem to (x + yi)^2 +
(a + bi). The result is obviously x^2 - 2xyi + y^2i^2 + a + bi. If you
replace i^2 with -1 (for that is its defined value), you get x^2 - 2xyi
- y^2 + a + bi. And if you gather all the terms containing i in one
group and all the others in another, you get x^2 - y^2 + a and 2xyi +
bi. Divide the latter through i and its 2xy + b.

Suddenly, it clicked. (No, not my spine!) I spent the rest of the day
deriving complex arithmetic from first principles. Perhaps the single
most significant moment was in class the next day. I wrote out the
Taylor series for exp(yi). Replacing i^2 with -1, I discovered that all
the terms now alternate between negative and positive. And between real
and imaginary. And collecting all the reals and all the imaginaries, I
was shocked to find myself looking at the Taylor series for the sine and
cosine functions.

At which point DKJ informed be that Euler figured that out almost 300
years ago. Damnit! >_<

Following our lecture on Polish reversed lists, I wrote a small Pascal
interpreter. It takes a String containing a Polish reversed list, and
executes it. You can only include purely real constants and the variable
names "A", "B", "C", "D" and "Z". The values of these variables are
passed as arguments to the interpreter function. The interpreter
executes the expression, and returns the result. It even correctly
handles complex exponents. (Although they would have to be variables.)

Using this, I added to my graphics assignment a fairly large collection
of fractal types. I don't think I ever got as far as implementing
Dijkstra's shunting algorithm (to turn normal algebra into Polish
reversed lists). But I implemented the usual Mandelbrot and Julia
fractals, with multiple colouring options (escape time, Z-magnitude,
epsilon cross, binary decomposition, etc.) And also several other
fractal types; cubic Mandelbrot, lambda, logistic, lambda-exp and
lambda-sin.

I read in a book about Floyd-Steinberg error distribution dithering. Now
remember, we're talking about the era where one of my assignments
actually asked me about the differences between MGA, CGA and EGA. (For
you youngsters: That's what we had *before* VGA.) We all did our
graphics work in VGA mode. So, 16 hard-coded colours available. So I
went ahead and wrote an FS dithering algorithm, and then adapted my
Mandelbrot renderer to generate images in 24-bit colour and then dither
them into 4-bit colour. The results at 640x480 were... well, grainy.
(Plus I think I had a bug somewhere. The algorithm never worked
/exactly/ right.) But it was still kinda neat.

I actually /sold/ the code for the Mandelbrot fractal to Graham. Not for
very much money. And, actually, I didn't give him any code. I just sat
next to him and told him what steps had to happen, and he coded it. I
can still remember the conversation. "Now run that loop for every
pixel." "Wow, for EVERY PIXEL?" "Yep. Now you know why it's so slow!"
(Mine of course did fancy tracing operations to speed it up...)

My rotating cube went on to acquire hidden line removal. *ahem* OK,
back-face cull. Which took some considerable research and discussions
with DKJ to get right. Finally I discovered that it wasn't working
because it /actually matters/ what order you list the coordinates in.
O_O Once I fixed that, it worked much better. I then went on to add
surface illumination calculations, using a simple point source and Phong
lighting. (Each surface is one flat colour.) With only 4 shades of grey
to play with, it didn't look so hot. But it was quite neat animated.

I vaguely recall that I did implement something with /real/ hidden line
removal, but I don't know if it made it into my assignment. I'll have to
read the sources.

animated spirals and so forth. Needless to say, I got a Distinction for
that. (The highest mark possible.)

It still makes me chuckle that I enrolled for a computing diploma and I
spent two terms learning how double-entry accounting works. I've got
Sage printouts and everything. (That's Sage for MS-DOS, mind you.) I
still remember the login password. It was "letmein".

Then there's heaps of stuff about the relative merits of Ethernet verses
Token Ring verses something else. As far as I can tell, that's a format
war that has long since been won my Ethernet. Does *anybody* still use
token ring? How about ATM, is that still used?

(Come to think of it, *all* of the networking stuff at college was done
by Novel Netware. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...)

There was one assignment called "computers in society". I didn't
actually read the assignment, but the lecturer's comments were amusing.
"A wonderful, almost poetic report. I would be delighted to receive
writing of this calibre in my professional life." He then goes on to
offhandedly mention that I didn't actually cover all of the required
aspects. And yet, I got a Distinction? LOL!

I briefly flicked through the report I wrote. Obviously produced with MS
Word 6. One sentence has been highlighted and the guy wrote next to it
"beautiful!" The sentence reads:

   "The computer is to information as the power loom is to fabric."

Aside from that, the report isn't well written at all. The tone is very,
very informal. Like, if you imagine being given a topic, and just
monologuing about it to your friend off the top of your head,
videotaping that, and then rearranging the sentences into a more
coherent order with a word processor... that's what I wrote.
Distinction. Heh, well I guess it *is* only college...

Also: If you think my spelling is bad *now*, you have literally no idea
how abysmal it used to be! (E.g., I can spell "abysmal" now. :-P ) And
that was when I was a teenager, obviously.

Some of the lecturer's comments weren't so friendly. (Actually, some of
them weren't legible at all. That has to be some kind of fail, right
there!) Deanna wrote something about "Task A shows technical brilliance,
however task B is still not acceptable, even on this second attempt, and
even though I told you which research sources to use. This just isn't
good enough Andrew. You simply must improve in this area."

Oh? Oh really? You think so? Do ya? Yeah? Well let's see how you like my
SHREDDER!!! Muhuhuhuh!!! Take THAT, Selby! Yeah, you like that?! Not so
smug *now*, are we? Now that your acidic little smartypants voice has
been minced into a thousand tiny pieces. EAT METAL!!! >:-]

Ahhh. To quote H. Granger, "that felt good".

In summary, all the assignments to do with programming computers or
solving equations gave me exemplary marks. Everything else brought me
dismal failure. A pattern that was to be repeated at university, come to
think of it. Well I guess that's tomorrow's tidying task.

I'm particularly proud of the grade I got for my second programming
module at uni. I got a D for that. (On an A - F scale.)

You see, due to the faculty secretly moving the notice board and not
bothering to tell me about it, I missed all of my exams that term. Every
single one of them. And that meant I failed all my modules and had to
retake them.

Well, all except one. You see, for my programming module, my coursework
grades were *so* damned awesome that I actually PASSED THE MODULE
OUTRIGHT WITHOUT EVEN TAKING THE EXAM. And not only did I pass, I got a
D. Not an F. Not an E. But a D. Without even sitting the exam. I'm *that
good*, bitch! ;-)

And then there was that database class. The one where Ian says "There
are various levels of normalisation. I mean, you've got 2NF, 3NF, 4NF
and even higher ones. But generally, you only really need to worry about
Boyce-Codd normal form, which says, ANDREW..."

I stand up from my seat in the front row and enunciate "...every
determinate must be a candidate key..."

"...thank you Andrew. Now as you can see[...]"

That was a feel-good moment. When even the lecturers know you're a
damned walking encyclopaedia. ;-)

...and now I'm feeling all nostalgic about the long-lost days when I
could just sit in a corner reading about Gaussian elimination or
something while the lecturer blathers on about the role of middle
management or whatever. I could do crazy math stuff, and people would be
*impressed* and stuff. My college notes are literally a fermenting sea
of equations. Serious work mixed up with doodles and advanced math. I
have nobody to impress anymore. :'{

(Although... I wonder how much of the praise I received was actually
justified. Especially at college, when I was in a class full of chavs
who went out and got drunk *every day*. They'd be hung over for the
morning classes, and mildly drunk for the afternoon ones. Is it any
wonder the lecturers though I was brilliant?)

Go on, admit it. You thought this was going to be about SRAM vs DRAM,
didn't you? :-P

Post a reply to this message

> Then there's heaps of stuff about the relative merits of Ethernet verses
> Token Ring verses something else. As far as I can tell, that's a format
> war that has long since been won my Ethernet. Does *anybody* still use
> token ring? How about ATM, is that still used?

In most large entreprise that has an IBM mainframe sysplex or two, there
will be some token-ring left there, for some legacy "don't touch it, the
last guy who knew how that worked retired years ago, and quite frankly,
we're not sure anyone still uses it, but we don't want to take chances"
application.

> (Come to think of it, *all* of the networking stuff at college was done
> by Novel Netware. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...)

They're still around.

> You see, due to the faculty secretly moving the notice board and not
> bothering to tell me about it, I missed all of my exams that term. Every
> single one of them. And that meant I failed all my modules and had to
> retake them.

After a while, most rational human beings would have asked other
students "Hey, when's our first exam?", or upon hearing "That last exam,
sure was hard" would have retorted "Exam? what exam?".  You can't just
blame the tricksy hobbitses, you have to take some of it.

>> Then there's heaps of stuff about the relative merits of Ethernet verses
>> Token Ring verses something else. As far as I can tell, that's a format
>> war that has long since been won my Ethernet. Does *anybody* still use
>> token ring? How about ATM, is that still used?
>>

> In most large entreprise that has an IBM mainframe sysplex or two, there
> will be some token-ring left there, for some legacy "don't touch it, the
> last guy who knew how that worked retired years ago, and quite frankly,
> we're not sure anyone still uses it, but we don't want to take chances"
> application.

Forgot to add:

And ATM is the transport underneath DSL and DOCSIS.  So most home or
small office high speed Internet connections are using ATM.

> In most large entreprise that has an IBM mainframe sysplex or two, there
> will be some token-ring left there, for some legacy application.

Wouldn't surprise me. But I'm correct in saying that nobody uses it for
new deployments?

>> (Come to think of it, *all* of the networking stuff at college was done
>> by Novel Netware. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...)
>
> They're still around.

Novel is clearly still around. I meant Netware.

>> You see, due to the faculty secretly moving the notice board and not
>> bothering to tell me about it, I missed all of my exams that term. Every
>> single one of them. And that meant I failed all my modules and had to
>> retake them.
>
> After a while, most rational human beings would have asked other
> students "Hey, when's our first exam?", or upon hearing "That last exam,
> sure was hard" would have retorted "Exam? what exam?". You can't just
> blame the tricksy hobbitses, you have to take some of it.

"That last exam sure was hard" is how I found out that I'd missed the
last one.

Other than that, I don't recall actually *seeing* any of my classmates
during this period. Not that I knew most of their names anyway...

Still, somehow everybody else knew that our notice board had moved 400
yards along the corridor. I wonder how they found out?

(My mum screamed at me "you pass that noticeboard every single day!" To
which I responded "I pass about 30 noticeboards every single day. None
of them related to my course.")

Post a reply to this message