POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Aug 2011 09:25:25
Message: <4e4e6445@news.povray.org>
>> Does *anybody* still use token ring?
>
> In most large entreprise that has an IBM mainframe sysplex or two, there
> will be some token-ring left there, for some legacy application.

Wouldn't surprise me. But I'm correct in saying that nobody uses it for
new deployments?

>> (Come to think of it, *all* of the networking stuff at college was done
>> by Novel Netware. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...)
>
> They're still around.

Novel is clearly still around. I meant Netware.

>> You see, due to the faculty secretly moving the notice board and not
>> bothering to tell me about it, I missed all of my exams that term. Every
>> single one of them. And that meant I failed all my modules and had to
>> retake them.
>
> After a while, most rational human beings would have asked other
> students "Hey, when's our first exam?", or upon hearing "That last exam,
> sure was hard" would have retorted "Exam? what exam?". You can't just
> blame the tricksy hobbitses, you have to take some of it.

"That last exam sure was hard" is how I found out that I'd missed the
last one.

Other than that, I don't recall actually *seeing* any of my classmates
during this period. Not that I knew most of their names anyway...

Still, somehow everybody else knew that our notice board had moved 400
yards along the corridor. I wonder how they found out?

(My mum screamed at me "you pass that noticeboard every single day!" To
which I responded "I pass about 30 noticeboards every single day. None
of them related to my course.")