POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Aug 2011 11:16:49
Message: <4e4e7e61$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2011 04:14 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 8/19/2011 5:00, Invisible wrote:
>> Does *anybody* still use token ring?
>
> Anywhere the benefits of token ring outweigh the costs of using a less
> common networking technology, yes. Primarily where you need a fixed
> upper limit on how long a packet takes to be delivered, such as in many
> forms of industrial processing.

Wouldn't you just use a dedicated network with no other traffic on it?

Also, wasn't the last token ring technology to be released 10mbit/sec or
something? That's a tad slow... (Then again, industrial control. How
much bandwidth can it possibly need?)

>> How about ATM, is that still used?
>
> It's used quite a lot internally to the phone company. You're probably
> using it right now.

OK. So exchange to exchange links and stuff?

>> Aside from that, the report isn't well written at all. The tone is very,
>> very informal. Like, if you imagine being given a topic, and just
>> monologuing about it to your friend off the top of your head,
>
> I'm not sure I need to *imagine* that as such...

Nice to know I've *always* sucked at report writing. :-P