POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 19 Aug 2011 09:14:40
Message: <4e4e61c0$1@news.povray.org>

> Then there's heaps of stuff about the relative merits of Ethernet verses
> Token Ring verses something else. As far as I can tell, that's a format
> war that has long since been won my Ethernet. Does *anybody* still use
> token ring? How about ATM, is that still used?

In most large entreprise that has an IBM mainframe sysplex or two, there
will be some token-ring left there, for some legacy "don't touch it, the
last guy who knew how that worked retired years ago, and quite frankly,
we're not sure anyone still uses it, but we don't want to take chances"
application.

> (Come to think of it, *all* of the networking stuff at college was done
> by Novel Netware. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...)

They're still around.

> You see, due to the faculty secretly moving the notice board and not
> bothering to tell me about it, I missed all of my exams that term. Every
> single one of them. And that meant I failed all my modules and had to
> retake them.

After a while, most rational human beings would have asked other
students "Hey, when's our first exam?", or upon hearing "That last exam,
sure was hard" would have retorted "Exam? what exam?".  You can't just
blame the tricksy hobbitses, you have to take some of it.