POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Complicated (Message 31 to 40 of 52)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Complicated
Date: 7 Jun 2011 11:58:54
Message: <4dee4abe$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/2011 8:45, Invisible wrote:
> I'm not sure how you can claim that
> simple pattern matching would find such a complex similarity.

I'm not saying it would. I'm saying it *did*.

>> Why are you using the subjunctive, as if this is a fictional story?
> Damnit, now I have to go look up what a "subjunctive" is...

Yep.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

From: Aydan
Date: 7 Jun 2011 12:00:00
Message: <web.4dee49cb8dd72f563771cd8e0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 04:28 PM, Aydan wrote:
>
> > Walking
> > across a room is not a precalculated series of movements like it would be for
> > most robots.
>
> ...which is why the robot is wrong. The *correct* way to navigate
> unknown terrain is to constantly monitor and adapt to your surroundings.
>
> > Whenever anything happens that's not quite as it was "planned" it will just
> > change the movement slightly without your conciousness even noticing.
>
> Yes. And these changes are very, very precise. If they weren't, you'd
> fall over. The fact that it does this in a feedback loop doesn't negate
> the need for very exact, very fine controls.

I'd say the changes are NOT precise but they are minute and the update rate is
fast. So fast that an error in an update will be negated with the next update
and the control loop is adapted constantly to minimize errors. It's still not
what I would call precise.

If the human body would be capable of precice movement then you should be able
to repeat movements exactly every time you do them. But that's not how it turns
out.
Try throwing a ball at something. You won't be able to hit the same spot twice
in a row. If you practice very very hard, you might get close but you still
won't hit the same spot every time.

Post a reply to this message