POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Be very afraid... (Message 31 to 40 of 65)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Be very afraid...
Date: 24 Sep 2009 05:36:37
Message: <4abb3da5$1@news.povray.org>
> It's news to me that POV supports splines in the first place.

It does bezier patches which are the closest you are going to get to
describing "any curved surface" mathematically.

> Only if you have the original curve to hand.

What if you designed the curve by seeing how it turned out after
sub-divison?  Blender works like this, you can edit the vertices of a very
rough triangle mesh and see how the perfectly smooth surface reacts in real
time.  You are then defining the "original curve" by the crude mesh.

> If you *insist* on using triangles, you're going to need a hell of a lot
> of them to fake the appearence of a good curve. That means you either need
> a triangle mesh of absurd dimensions, or you need to generate the
> triangles on the fly.

Exactly.  This is what all film-quality renderers do.

> What all known computer games do is use a static, very low resolution
> triangle mesh and then smother it with lashes of low-level trickery to
> give a vague semblance of curvature.

Of course, because that method gets the highest quality output in realtime.
And it's very easy to have two (or more) versions of a mesh at different
resolutions, eg for stills rendering, close-up real-time rendering, far away
rendering etc.  When you have a mathematical surface rendered directly it's
very difficult to speed it up!

Post a reply to this message