POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... : Re: Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 05:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very afraid...
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Sep 2009 18:14:38
Message: <4abbef4e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the fascination with perfect mathematically
>> described surfaces, they are inflexible and slow to render.
>
> Really? I was under the impression that splines can describe any
> possible surface. Triangles, on the other hand, can only give a crude
> approximation to curves.

This is not true.  Just like triangles splines can only approximate most
curves, they just give a different approximation.

Back to the initial topic -- the main reason why I like the ability to
support arbitrary surfaces is that isosufraces are such a useful
modeling tool.  Sure you could always tessilate them to triangles, but I
don't think that doing so correctly, quickly, and automatically is that
easy of a problem -- particularly if you want to treat the normals
correctly.

Of course if you have a really nice modeler the added value of
isosurfaces is less, so it makes sense to go with a pure-triangle
approach.  For a text-based editor like Povray, however, I think having
a larger vocabulary of surfaces is extremely handy.