POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Fighting piracy on two fronts (Message 11 to 20 of 69)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
Date: 20 Apr 2009 18:03:12
Message: <49ecf120$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:22:37 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:00:10 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> People will bitch up a storm when the RIAA shuts down a Linux torrent
>>> server because the RIAA didn't bother to check whether it was actually
>>> distributing something copyrighted.
>>
>> Do you mean a torrent server distributing Linux distributions?  Cause
>> that's copyrighted and legal.
>
> Obviously I meant to imply copyrighted by the RIAA, silly man.

I don't think the RIAA actually holds copyrights, though, do they?  I
thought the record labels and artists held the copyrights.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2009 18:51:58
Message: <49ecfc8e@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I don't think the RIAA actually holds copyrights, though, do they?  I
> thought the record labels and artists held the copyrights.

Now that you mention it, that's probably true. It's hard to understand what
RIAA's legal involvement in the whole mess is, given the RIAA as such
wouldn't seem to have any standing.

Of course, it's a different country with apparently much different copyright
laws, so I have no idea how their legal system treats such things.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)