POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: somebody
Date: 21 Apr 2009 06:29:45
Message: <49eda019$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message news:49ed700c@news.povray.org...

> Imagine if Google started crawling torrent files too and these showed up
in
> search results, the RIAA would be round there quicker than a coffee-burnt
> American.

Yes, so? As near as I can see, there's little to no legitimate use of
torrents. I don't buy the "it's just the technology" argument. It's the same
argument that gun lobbyist use "guns don't kill people, people do". Well, if
you facilitate a crime, you are partaking in it. *If* Google facilitates
piracy, they would be on the wrong. Conversely, there's nothing wrong to
demand from Google or other technology providers to minimize the potential
of their services being used to promote piracy, while fulfilling legitimate
needs. It can be done, and certainly by Google.