POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 20 Apr 2009 22:12:41
Message: <49ed2b99@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:
>> I'm not sure it's all as clear-cut as the media might imply:
>> http://www.sfbayview.com/2009/you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates/
>
> It's unfortunate that this article on such a poignant topic is so poorly argued.
>  If this were true, it would certainly warrant a closer look.  I'm unable to
> find one, but does anyone know of a credible source on this, or is it just
> allegations?

	In 2005, there were (at least) two articles in the BBC about this.
Here's the latter one, which corrects a claim made in the first, but
still states that the UN maintains that toxic dumping had occurred. It
does contradict a small bit of what Hari said (i.e. tsunami did not wash
such barrels ashore), but he's likely correct on the bigger issue of
dumping waste there. I don't have any source other than what he says
regarding the sickness...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4321044.stm

	I don't have anything for the illegal fishing.

	Good to be skeptical. Better to be consistently skeptical. ;-)

--
"Now we all know map companies hire guys who specialize in making map
folding a physical impossibility" - Adult Kevin Arnold in "Wonder Years"

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl