POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 51 to 60 of 283)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 9 Dec 2008 06:46:02
Message: <493e5a7a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I still don't entirely "get" why you would ever recompile the OS kernel.
>> I mean, all it does is memory allocation, interrupt scheduling, etc.
>> What's to change?
>
> When I initially compiled the kernel after installing Gentoo, I had no
> DVD drive, and was also short a lot of other hardware. So I turned those
> options off. Later on, when I got certain hardware, I needed to enable
> those options.
>
> Lately I've had to connect to work using a PPTP VPN (evil stuff). I
> hadn't compiled PPTP support in the kernel. So: Recompile. Another time
> I needed to use DAV. Not enabled in kernel - so I compiled.

In Windows you just install a driver, why do you need to recompile the
kernel?

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 9 Dec 2008 06:53:03
Message: <493e5c1f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Please tell me that isn't 2.6 GB just for the source code...

No, I won't.

> Are you *kidding* me?? 300 MB just for the source code?!

No and yes.

> Does it also make you coffee in the morning? :-P

No, at least not yet. I drink my morning coffee at work, so I have
coffee maker drivers disabled.

> In other words, the Linux "kernel" isn't just the kernel, it's also all
> the device drivers. No wonder it's so big.

Yep.

And for someone else who wondered if no kernel modules are known, yes
they are, but before explaining that it's easier to explain the whole
thing in general.

> Erm, no... I think you'll find that the reason why gaming computers use
> Windows is that almost all games are written to run under Windows. :-P

Yes. And one reason *for that* is that porting games to Linux has been
freaking difficult, eg. since past years ATI and nVidia both on theier
turns have been missing GFX-drivers for Linux. They both have raised
theier heads recently, so there is a chance to see that scene raising
also. It'll still take at least a while, so don't hold your breath while
waiting.

> I would suggest that DirectX is a way bigger reason than kernel support
> for particular bits of hardware.

There can't be anything like DirectX, if there's no support (drivers)
for the hardware.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

> 	I have full merge history in /var/log/emerge.log
>
> 	To parse it, emerge genlop. I use genlop all the time for estimating
> build times, etc.

Nice, thanks for the tip.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

>> Please tell me that isn't 2.6 GB just for the source code...
>
> No, I won't.
>
>> Are you *kidding* me?? 300 MB just for the source code?!
>
> No and yes.

My God... it burns!! >_<

>> Erm, no... I think you'll find that the reason why gaming computers use
>> Windows is that almost all games are written to run under Windows. :-P
>
> Yes. And one reason *for that* is that porting games to Linux has been
> freaking difficult, eg. since past years ATI and nVidia both on theier
> turns have been missing GFX-drivers for Linux. They both have raised
> theier heads recently, so there is a chance to see that scene raising
> also. It'll still take at least a while, so don't hold your breath while
> waiting.

Yeah, well... why bother supporting a platform that hardly anybody uses?
*Clearly* it's more profitable to support only the most popular
platforms. ;-)

That's why no Linux drivers, no Linux games, no Linux apps...

(Yes, I realise there are a few of these now, but still not that many. Yet.)

>> I would suggest that DirectX is a way bigger reason than kernel support
>> for particular bits of hardware.
>
> There can't be anything like DirectX, if there's no support (drivers)
> for the hardware.

Well, true, but I'm just saying most games target DirectX rather than
OpenGL.

Post a reply to this message