POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:29:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Dec 2008 07:03:07
Message: <493e5e7b@news.povray.org>
>> Please tell me that isn't 2.6 GB just for the source code...
>
> No, I won't.
>
>> Are you *kidding* me?? 300 MB just for the source code?!
>
> No and yes.

My God... it burns!! >_<

>> Erm, no... I think you'll find that the reason why gaming computers use
>> Windows is that almost all games are written to run under Windows. :-P
>
> Yes. And one reason *for that* is that porting games to Linux has been
> freaking difficult, eg. since past years ATI and nVidia both on theier
> turns have been missing GFX-drivers for Linux. They both have raised
> theier heads recently, so there is a chance to see that scene raising
> also. It'll still take at least a while, so don't hold your breath while
> waiting.

Yeah, well... why bother supporting a platform that hardly anybody uses?
*Clearly* it's more profitable to support only the most popular
platforms. ;-)

That's why no Linux drivers, no Linux games, no Linux apps...

(Yes, I realise there are a few of these now, but still not that many. Yet.)

>> I would suggest that DirectX is a way bigger reason than kernel support
>> for particular bits of hardware.
>
> There can't be anything like DirectX, if there's no support (drivers)
> for the hardware.

Well, true, but I'm just saying most games target DirectX rather than
OpenGL.