POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Tom Austin
Date: 9 Dec 2008 08:36:13
Message: <493e744d$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:18:25 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:
>
>>> Try LFS, that'll really teach you a lot about linux, even if you don't
>>> get a bootable system.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> It's not too hard to get a bootable LFS system - and if it is hard and
>> you get it to boot, then you've learned a lot!
>
> Maybe now it is, I remember it used to be an incredible way to install
> because you had to do *everything*.  I've seen some newer releases that
> script some things, though.
>
> Jim

Even with the scripting/automation it takes a bit of work to get it to
boot - you still have to get GRUB on the HD and the like.

I usually run jhalfs to do all the legwork on the base system - up to,
but not including, compiling the kernel.  Up to that point it's mostly
following what the book tells you to do.  From the kernel on you have to
make some decisions and customize the steps for your particular setup.

Just about any Linux stuff I do now is via LFS - I like knowing what I
am working with.