POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:51:04
Message: <493ea1f8$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> So I'd add that it's fairly common in Unix world, and from reading
> this thread it would seem less common on Linux.

I think it's more like it's fairly common in the UNIX world on systems
designed when wasting 100K of kernel memory was an unforgivable sin. :-)
When just setting nfiles to some sufficiently large number whether you need
it or not works fine, you wind up recompiling for those kinds of tuning
parameters less often.  (Or, of course, you could configure the kernel at
boot time, but that's no fun.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)