POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 174 to 183 of 283)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 16 Dec 2008 08:06:30
Message: <4947a7d6@news.povray.org>
>>> Andrew, both emacs and vi come with quite good interactive tutorials.
>> Sure. And do you know how to *find* that?
>
> Run vimtutor instead of vim.

Heh. It always seems easy once you already know how. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 16 Dec 2008 08:07:41
Message: <4947a81c@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I'm not saying it's impossible to make cross-platform games. But when
> you have a huge codebase invested in DirectX, it would be tantamount to
> a complete rewrite to move to OpenGL.

They could link their program to Winelib. It would still be a native Linux
binary, and they can use Linux-specific stuff, but the Windows-specific
stuff they use would be handled by Wine.

That's how Picasa for Linux was made (a photo organizer by Google).

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm not saying it's impossible to make cross-platform games. But when
>> you have a huge codebase invested in DirectX, it would be tantamount to
>> a complete rewrite to move to OpenGL.
>
> They could link their program to Winelib. It would still be a native Linux
> binary, and they can use Linux-specific stuff, but the Windows-specific
> stuff they use would be handled by Wine.
>
> That's how Picasa for Linux was made (a photo organizer by Google).

Then I guess we're left with "insufficient demand". I presume if Valve
thought there was money in it, they'd do it.

Post a reply to this message