POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Dec 2008 09:58:48
Message: <4947c228$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> It just amuses me though that a bunch of people can take the device
>> apart and figure out how it works with no access to any technical data
>> at all. This should be 100% impossible, but somehow they did it. And
>> they did it better than the makers themselves...
>
> I'm sure the total number of man-hours they spent reverse engineering it
> and rewriting the firmware *far* outweighs what the OEM spent on it.
> For a commercial venture it just wouldn't be profitable, but if a group
> of people enjoy doing that for a hobby, sure.

The OEM has the spec sheet though, so it should be many millions of
times easier for them to design software for it.

I mean, an MP3 player isn't exactly a complex piece of hardware. There's
a battery, a harddrive, a processor, and a DAC. I would think those are
all off-the-shelf components. Just stick them in a box, put in the 3
microswitches for the buttons, and your hardware is done.

The *software* is what makes it a useful device...

Still, I suppose if you can limit the number of crashes to less than
once per day, you can probably get people to buy it before they realise
there's a problem.