POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Dec 2008 09:45:50
Message: <4947bf1e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I find it amusing that some 3rd party firmware for my MP3 player works
>> better than the firmware written by the people who designed and
>> manufactured the player...
>
> That's because a 3rd party doesn't have the pressure that every month
> they spend developing the software is a month of sales lost...
>
> At some point the OEM has to draw the line and release the product, ok
> so if the software was better they would sell 20% more units, but if
> they waited until the software was better they would sell 20% fewer
> units because better alternatives would become available sooner in the
> product lifecycle.

Well, they release firmware updates from time to time. Only problem is,
they've more or less stopped doing that any more. The last update was
years ago. (And the player is only about 6 months old.)

It just amuses me though that a bunch of people can take the device
apart and figure out how it works with no access to any technical data
at all. This should be 100% impossible, but somehow they did it. And
they did it better than the makers themselves...