POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fat lady takes the stage... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  The fat lady takes the stage... (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: The fat lady takes the stage...
Date: 28 Mar 2008 01:50:41
Message: <47EC955E.8090105@hotmail.com>
Stephen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:27:54 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> That may be, but it still leaves to be deserved. 'Unless' is absolutely
>> the wrong word to use here. It does not fit with the 'remember' in the
>> sentence before. I only noticed the moment that I pressed 'send' :( .
>> 'Apparently' would have been much better, I think.
>
> No! That makes it funny, it leaves an element of doubt.
Ok, what about 'Perhaps'?
> I'm sure Gail
> expected smart arsed comments or she wouldn't have mentioned "The fat
> lady"
Yes, she is a big girl, she can handle it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 28 Mar 2008 02:35:09
Message: <47ec9fad@news.povray.org>
> andrel wrote:
>
> > I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
> > girl and the elephant wrong.
>
> 1. Wow, you beat me to it!
>
> 2. OMG, you did it *way* better than what I had in mind! :-D

*sigh*

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 28 Mar 2008 02:44:27
Message: <47eca1db@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:47E### [at] hotmailcom...
> Stephen wrote:

> > No! That makes it funny, it leaves an element of doubt.
> Ok, what about 'Perhaps'?

Probably conveys your meaning...

> > I'm sure Gail
> > expected smart arsed comments or she wouldn't have mentioned "The fat
> > lady"
> Yes, she is a big girl, she can handle it.

I contempated adding an explaination of the title, but decided not to.
Thought no one would be smart-ass about it.
I shouldn't under-estimate people....

*roll eyes*

*g*

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 28 Mar 2008 03:22:42
Message: <47ecaad2@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message

> >Yup! That's what I'm hoping....
> >The company I'm joining is small and all the consultants are top experts
in
> >their fields.
> >www.xpertease.co.za
>
> Getting in early in a young company can lead to great things.

It's not a young company. They've been around for at least 5 years now.
They're intentionally small. They don't hire people unless they are really
good in their fields. I spoke with the MD last week. They've got work lined
up til november

> That's funny, one of us leave education and another joins. It is a
> strange world in some ways.

Yeah. Though I'll be doing adult education, which is very different from
school teaching.

> I hope you like travelling and meeting lots of different people. I do
> and like that part of the job.

Won't be too much long-distance travelling. Most of the SQL work in SA is
concentrated in the JHB/Pretoria area which is where I am. Not being stuck
in the same office for months on end does appeal.

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Mar 2008 04:20:53
Message: <op.t8pyyadoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:16:28 -0000, Gail Shaw sa dot com>
<"<initialsurname"@sentech> did spake, saying:

> It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
> I'm more than a little nervous.

I'm sure you'll have fun, it sounds like a well-setup company full of
smart people so you'll fit in nicely.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Mar 2008 10:04:10
Message: <0p1qu3hvpjj2r8o3sr291qgqpslhvmlh49@4ax.com>
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:23:05 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
>
>> Getting in early in a young company can lead to great things.
>
>It's not a young company. They've been around for at least 5 years now.
>They're intentionally small. They don't hire people unless they are really
>good in their fields. I spoke with the MD last week. They've got work lined
>up til november

Good for you, getting the possition

>> That's funny, one of us leave education and another joins. It is a
>> strange world in some ways.
>
>Yeah. Though I'll be doing adult education, which is very different from
>school teaching.

It sure is, although I've had to give PC 101 courses in the middle of
SAP courses <gulp!>

>> I hope you like travelling and meeting lots of different people. I do
>> and like that part of the job.
>
>Won't be too much long-distance travelling. Most of the SQL work in SA is
>concentrated in the JHB/Pretoria area which is where I am.

Again that is good.

>Not being stuck
>in the same office for months on end does appeal.

That's what I like although on this contract. I'm working at home with
a couple of days travel a week.
It sounds like you've got a good job lined up. Is there any chance
that you will be offered a better package to stay at your present job
and would you take it?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Mar 2008 10:05:48
Message: <m92qu3pef8eu8177pco3ticfcuja7olq2q@4ax.com>
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:45:04 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>I contempated adding an explaination of the title, but decided not to.
>Thought no one would be smart-ass about it.
>I shouldn't under-estimate people....
>
>*roll eyes*
>
>*g*

Come on! You must have known that you were asking for comments?
Surely?
:-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 28 Mar 2008 11:16:39
Message: <47ed19e7@news.povray.org>

> It sounds like you've got a good job lined up. Is there any chance
> that you will be offered a better package to stay at your present job
> and would you take it?

The move's not for money. I'm tired of the same grind every day. Same
systems, same problems, different day.
It's also not a whim of the moment decision. My initial discussions with
Xpertease was almost a year ago

My boss knows me well enough to know that money doesn't motivate me. He
probably won't try.
What he did try was to tempt me into staying by telling me the roadmap for
the IT dept. It was interesting, but not interesting enough.

The head of IT might, when he gets the formal letter, but then the head of
IT doesn't know me from a bar of soap.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Mar 2008 12:03:29
Message: <qs7qu3d5663911g55u7fc37566l1brlhv7@4ax.com>
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:17:18 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>The move's not for money. I'm tired of the same grind every day. Same
>systems, same problems, different day.

I know what you mean. After 16 years working offshore even the
helicopter ride became a chore. But the money is an added bounus? :)

>It's also not a whim of the moment decision. My initial discussions with
>Xpertease was almost a year ago
>
>My boss knows me well enough to know that money doesn't motivate me. He
>probably won't try.
>What he did try was to tempt me into staying by telling me the roadmap for
>the IT dept. It was interesting, but not interesting enough.

Ah! Well, he did his best. I suppose it is nice to be appreciated.

>The head of IT might, when he gets the formal letter, but then the head of
>IT doesn't know me from a bar of soap.

LOL I've not heard that form of the expression. Here it is "He
wouldn't know me from Adam" or maybe "Eve". I don't know about using
Eve it doesn't sound right.
"A bar of soap" Google-ing it brings up a lot of Australian sites.
Hmm! :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 28 Mar 2008 13:09:24
Message: <47ED3471.50709@hotmail.com>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> news:47E### [at] hotmailcom...
>> Stephen wrote:
>
>>> No! That makes it funny, it leaves an element of doubt.
>> Ok, what about 'Perhaps'?
>
> Probably conveys your meaning...

yes. But it takes away some of the doubt that Stephen preferred.

>>> I'm sure Gail
>>> expected smart arsed comments or she wouldn't have mentioned "The fat
>>> lady"
>> Yes, she is a big girl, she can handle it.
>>

> I contempated adding an explaination of the title, but decided not to.

I understood where the title came from, that did not stop me though.

> Thought no one would be smart-ass about it.

Huh, we are in p.o-t as far as I know.

> I shouldn't under-estimate people....

Indeed, I just checked your webpage to see if I could add to your
embarrassment. Not much ammunition for this thread I am afraid. Not even
a recent picture of your new glasses. BTW it does not look good in IE6
nor in Firefox, for different reasons.

> *roll eyes*
>
> *g*

Oh and before I forget, I hope your next job will be as interesting as
it sounds, or at least keeps you interested for some years to come.