POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : animation question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:42 EDT (-0400)
  animation question (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Michael DiDonato
Subject: animation question
Date: 18 Jan 2002 18:22:53
Message: <3C48AE4C.DE9AADC2@scripps.edu>
I have a newbie question regarding animations.  I have a POV scene which
contains a complex model (actually a 3D protein structure).  I would
like to make an animation which rotates the entire molecule around in a
defined way.

What is the best way to do this? I have considered rotating the camera
around the object but then the lighting gets messed up in certain
places.  Second, it is not easy to describe the motion around the object
in 3D.

Is there a way to rotate the entire object as one?  The protein model is
composed of many tubes, spheres and triangles.  How do I refer to the
whole thing as one object?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

--
*********************************
Michael DiDonato, PhD

Tel: (858) 784-9261
FAX: (858) 784-2277

http://www.scripps.edu/~didonato
*********************************

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)

> I have a newbie question regarding animations.  I have a POV scene
> which contains a complex model (actually a 3D protein structure).  I
> would like to make an animation which rotates the entire molecule
> around in a defined way.
>
> What is the best way to do this? I have considered rotating the camera
> around the object but then the lighting gets messed up in certain
> places.  Second, it is not easy to describe the motion around the
> object in 3D.
>
> Is there a way to rotate the entire object as one?  The protein model
> is composed of many tubes, spheres and triangles.  How do I refer to
> the whole thing as one object?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Mike
>

> --
> *********************************
> Michael DiDonato, PhD
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Department of Molecular Biology
> Maildrop MB4
> 10550 North Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA, 92037
>
> Tel: (858) 784-9261
> FAX: (858) 784-2277
>
> http://www.scripps.edu/~didonato
> ********************************

Not sure how your scene is  structured but one thing that comes to mind
would be to put all your objects into a union like

union {
   sphere ...
   triangle ...
    //  up to here are your objects

   rotate  clock * y

}
Read the part about animation in the manual of povray. There is a clock
variable that can be set and if you use povray's animation feature this
variable is increased
with each new frame.
Of course one could mention that there are macromolecular graphics
programs that support animation with povray in one form or other.
Hope this helps.

 Lothar.

--
Dr. Lothar Esser
NIH / NCI

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael DiDonato
Date: 18 Jan 2002 19:14:50
Message: <3C48BA7A.B612C665@scripps.edu>

> > ********************************
> >
> Not sure how your scene is  structured but one thing that comes to mind
> would be to put all your objects into a union like
>
> union {
>    sphere ...
>    triangle ...
>     //  up to here are your objects
>
>    rotate  clock * y
>
> }
> Read the part about animation in the manual of povray. There is a clock
> variable that can be set and if you use povray's animation feature this
> variable is increased
> with each new frame.
> Of course one could mention that there are macromolecular graphics
> programs that support animation with povray in one form or other.
> Hope this helps.
>
>  Lothar.
>
> --
> Dr. Lothar Esser
> NIH / NCI
> Tel. 301-435-6163
> email les### [at] helixnihgov

Do you know of any?

--
*********************************

From: Ken
Date: 18 Jan 2002 22:19:11
Message: <3C48E5F4.1A518291@pacbell.net>

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Howie
Date: 19 Jan 2002 06:02:01
Message: <3c495229$1@news.povray.org>
Put all the objects into a union, then all the following lines to your
QUICKRES.INI file:

[x frames, y by z]
Width=y
Height=z
Initial_Frame=1
Final_Frame=x   ;set x to the number of frames
Cyclic_Animation=on   ;so that the last frame isn't identical to the first

Then add this line to the union:

rotate <0,clock,0>  // move clock into the desired axis

Hope this helps.

__________________
Chris Howie
cra### [at] yahoocom
http://winimizer.virtualave.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Deaken
Date: 19 Jan 2002 06:59:17
Message: <3C495FC2.470A0742@sw-tech.com>
Chris Howie wrote:

> rotate <0,clock,0>  // move clock into the desired axis

That's the second time I've seen that particular rotate used in this
thread.  Well, the first one was "rotate clock * y".  In neither case was
there a Start_ or End_Clock mentioned.

Am I a complete idiot for using "rotate <0, 360*clock, 0>", or did two
people make the same mistake?  Both of these options?  Neither?

Deaken (who has set followups, since this is not a unix question)

Post a reply to this message

From: Lothar Esser
Date: 19 Jan 2002 12:00:35
Message: <3C49A6AF.4F4C8B8C@helix.nih.gov>
Michael DiDonato wrote:

>> Of course one could mention that there are macromolecular graphics
>> programs that support animation with povray in one form or other.
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Do you know of any?

VMD, Ribbons, Dino, pyMol and well glr ( shameless promotion of my
program :)
L.

Post a reply to this message

From: Lothar Esser
Date: 19 Jan 2002 12:15:11
Message: <3C49AA1C.FE8A1D4@helix.nih.gov>
Deaken wrote:

> Chris Howie wrote:
> >
> > rotate <0,clock,0>  // move clock into the desired axis
>
> That's the second time I've seen that particular rotate used in this
> thread.  Well, the first one was "rotate clock * y".  In neither case was
> there a Start_ or End_Clock mentioned.
>
> Am I a complete idiot for using "rotate <0, 360*clock, 0>", or did two
> people make the same mistake?  Both of these options?  Neither?
>
> Deaken (who has set followups, since this is not a unix question)

rotate clock * y is an alternative to rotate <0,clock,0> as y = <0,1,0> .
Yes and you are right that I did not mention start and end. I don't have the
exact commandline syntax or the stuff that you put in the .ini file in my
head right now which is why I said look it up in the manual. Of course if
you plan to have say n images with the first and last being identical one
should  use something like this
rotate clock * 360  / n * y   //  where clock goes from 0 to n. Unless I am
mistaken the user can assign any real value to clock and it will go from
start to end; so you can use integral values that match the frame number or
fractions from 0 to 1.  Talking so much about it I looked it up : the
command line switch is +k and in the .ini
file it would be clock=### where ### is a start value.  Look at povray 3.1
documentation like  pov115.htm#_Toc449951170.
L.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Jan 2002 12:27:24
Message: <chrishuff-143206.12281619012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C495FC2.470A0742@sw-tech.com>, Deaken <dwy### [at] sw-techcom>
wrote:

> Am I a complete idiot for using "rotate <0, 360*clock, 0>", or did two
> people make the same mistake?  Both of these options?  Neither?

That is actually probably the best way to do it...if you write all your
scenes to work with the default [0, 1] range, you will have an easier
time moving code between them. It could also get harder to control when
you modify the clock range.
It's probably a matter of personal prefrence, though making the clock
run from 0 to 360 just for a rotation seems like a bad idea...what if
you then want to add translation by 1 unit over the course of the
animation?

From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 19 Jan 2002 13:48:04
Message: <3c49bf64$1@news.povray.org>
"Deaken" <dwy### [at] sw-techcom> wrote :

> Am I a complete idiot for using "rotate <0, 360*clock, 0>", or did two
> people make the same mistake?  Both of these options?  Neither?

    No, yes, no, no.