POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : animation question : Re: animation question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animation question
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 18 Jan 2002 18:38:44
Message: <3C48B27F.C6728D6B@helix.nih.gov>
Michael DiDonato wrote:

> I have a newbie question regarding animations.  I have a POV scene
> which contains a complex model (actually a 3D protein structure).  I
> would like to make an animation which rotates the entire molecule
> around in a defined way.
>
> What is the best way to do this? I have considered rotating the camera
> around the object but then the lighting gets messed up in certain
> places.  Second, it is not easy to describe the motion around the
> object in 3D.
>
> Is there a way to rotate the entire object as one?  The protein model
> is composed of many tubes, spheres and triangles.  How do I refer to
> the whole thing as one object?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Mike
>

> --
> *********************************
> Michael DiDonato, PhD
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Department of Molecular Biology
> Maildrop MB4
> 10550 North Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA, 92037
>
> Tel: (858) 784-9261
> FAX: (858) 784-2277
>
> http://www.scripps.edu/~didonato
> ********************************

Not sure how your scene is  structured but one thing that comes to mind
would be to put all your objects into a union like

union {
   sphere ...
   triangle ...
    //  up to here are your objects

   rotate  clock * y

}
Read the part about animation in the manual of povray. There is a clock
variable that can be set and if you use povray's animation feature this
variable is increased
with each new frame.
Of course one could mention that there are macromolecular graphics
programs that support animation with povray in one form or other.
Hope this helps.

 Lothar.

--
Dr. Lothar Esser