POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Use of non "letter" true type fonts Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Use of non "letter" true type fonts (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: The "D"
Subject: Use of non "letter" true type fonts
Date: 28 Feb 2001 00:27:25
Message: <3a9c8c3d@news.povray.org>
I have run accross an odd situation. I was trying to do some greek 3d
lettering with pov-ray but when I tried to use the font (a greek font dl'd
from a Christian site) I didn't get greek characters. Instead I got what
looked like a 1 and then some digital looking 0's (it may have been boxes
I'm not sure). Trying the standard windows symbol.ttf I got the proper
results. My question is, does povray require the font's to be 32-bit win95
fonts? I think the first font I tried was a win3.x 16bit font.

--
-The "D"
    A Thunderstorm is God's way of telling you you spend too much time on

Post a reply to this message

> I have run accross an odd situation. I was trying to do some greek 3d
> lettering with pov-ray but when I tried to use the font (a greek font dl'd
> from a Christian site) I didn't get greek characters. Instead I got what
> looked like a 1 and then some digital looking 0's (it may have been boxes
> I'm not sure). Trying the standard windows symbol.ttf I got the proper
> results. My question is, does povray require the font's to be 32-bit win95
> fonts? I think the first font I tried was a win3.x 16bit font.

Before you go blaming POV :) try looking at each glyph with either a font
editing
program (check the links) or any font renderer.
ie the font viewing prog that comes with windows or the freetype renderer
plugin that comes with The Gimp.
Note that some normal win32 fonts won't work with freetype.

You may be able to fix the font by mucking around with the font's table
type(unicode/windoze/macsomething) using a font editor.

BTW AFAIK those boxes are usually the glyph for characters that the font does
not define.

other than that I dunno
--
Bye,
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

> I have run accross an odd situation. I was trying to do some greek 3d
> lettering with pov-ray but when I tried to use the font (a greek font dl'd
> from a Christian site) I didn't get greek characters. Instead I got what
> looked like a 1 and then some digital looking 0's (it may have been boxes
> I'm not sure). Trying the standard windows symbol.ttf I got the proper
> results. My question is, does povray require the font's to be 32-bit win95
> fonts? I think the first font I tried was a win3.x 16bit font.

Only characters in ASCII range (character code 0 to 127) are supported
in POV-Ray 3.1.  The boxes you see are default characters that will be
displayed when the corresponding character could not be found in the
font by the search method that POV-Ray uses to find a character inside
the font file.

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>I have run accross an odd situation. I was trying to do some greek 3d
>lettering with pov-ray but when I tried to use the font (a greek font dl'd
>from a Christian site) I didn't get greek characters. Instead I got what
>looked like a 1 and then some digital looking 0's (it may have been boxes
>I'm not sure). Trying the standard windows symbol.ttf I got the proper
>results. My question is, does povray require the font's to be 32-bit win95
>fonts? I think the first font I tried was a win3.x 16bit font.

My machine came with three greek TTF fonts. Two of them (greekc__.ttf
and greeks__.ttf) work correctly in POV, and one (versafontgk.ttf)
produces the effect you mention but also produces warning messages like
"Character 67 (Ox43) not found in c:\windows\fonts\\versafontgk.ttf"
for each character in the text string.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> Before you go blaming POV :) try looking at each glyph with either a font
> editing
> program (check the links) or any font renderer.
> ie the font viewing prog that comes with windows or the freetype renderer
> plugin that comes with The Gimp.
> Note that some normal win32 fonts won't work with freetype.

POV uses the freetype libs? Where could I get the freetype renderer plugin
for the gimp?

> You may be able to fix the font by mucking around with the font's table
> type(unicode/windoze/macsomething) using a font editor.
>
> BTW AFAIK those boxes are usually the glyph for characters that the font
does
> not define.
>
> other than that I dunno

Right, except that the characters I am trying to use are defined for that
font.

Post a reply to this message

Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
> In article <3a9c8c3d@news.povray.org> , "The \"D\""
> <web### [at] bsthypermartnet> wrote:
> Only characters in ASCII range (character code 0 to 127) are supported
> in POV-Ray 3.1.  The boxes you see are default characters that will be
> displayed when the corresponding character could not be found in the
> font by the search method that POV-Ray uses to find a character inside
> the font file.

The characters I was using were "b" "s" and "u" I tried both upper and lower
case.

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:IZ4### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> My machine came with three greek TTF fonts. Two of them (greekc__.ttf
> and greeks__.ttf) work correctly in POV, and one (versafontgk.ttf)
> produces the effect you mention but also produces warning messages like
> "Character 67 (Ox43) not found in c:\windows\fonts\\versafontgk.ttf"
> for each character in the text string.

Well I didn't get the results I'd hoped for out of symbol.ttf so I chucked
that idea for the time being. I will however go back and check the messages
for those renders and see what I got.

--
-The "D"
    A Thunderstorm is God's way of telling you you spend too much time on
the
computer
Email address given is a spam catcher only

Post a reply to this message

> Where could I get the freetype renderer plugin for the gimp?

Comes with 1.2 for win32 & i'd imagine others as well

> > BTW AFAIK those boxes are usually the glyph for characters that the font
> does
> > not define.
>
> Right, except that the characters I am trying to use are defined for that
> font.

What indicates this?
--
Bye,