POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Use of non "letter" true type fonts : Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Mar 2001 14:09:36
Message: <3a9e9e70@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9ddb31@news.povray.org> , "The \"D\""
<web### [at] bsthypermartnet> wrote:

> The characters I was using were "b" "s" and "u" I tried both upper and lower
> case.

Yes, but as you said you are using a Greek font.  The ASCII table just
defines Roman characters.  While Greek may occupy the same "namespace"
(or call it character code), they are still stored in a different table
inside the font, and POV-Ray simply does not search this table.

In POV-Ray 3.5 you will have access to all 16 bit Unicode characters,
however, even then just entering Greek characters in a text editor and
using a Greek font won't work.  There is no way for POV-Ray to know the
intended font table you want to use, and adding every possible one (lets
just say there are more than) is not possible.   What you will have to
do is use a Unicode export capable text editor (maybe CodeMax on Windows
supports Unicode, but I don't know that) and save your scene files in a
format called "UTF 8".  Alternatively, and if you need only very few or
very special characters, it is feasible to use one of the Unicode font
mapping tables available at <http://www.unicode.org/charts/> and
manually insert the hex codes, for example \u0394 for the Greek capital
letter delta.  But, as said, you will have to wait a few weeks (or more)
for POV-Ray 3.5 ...

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde