POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Use of non "letter" true type fonts : Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts
From: The "D"
Date: 2 Mar 2001 00:49:10
Message: <3a9f3456@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
> In article <3a9ddb31@news.povray.org> , "The \"D\""
> <web### [at] bsthypermartnet> wrote:
> Yes, but as you said you are using a Greek font.  The ASCII table just
> defines Roman characters.  While Greek may occupy the same "namespace"
> (or call it character code), they are still stored in a different table
> inside the font, and POV-Ray simply does not search this table.

I see. So that's how it works. I just assumed that the ascii values were the
same.

> In POV-Ray 3.5 you will have access to all 16 bit Unicode characters,
> however, even then just entering Greek characters in a text editor and
> using a Greek font won't work.  There is no way for POV-Ray to know the
> intended font table you want to use, and adding every possible one (lets
> just say there are more than) is not possible.   What you will have to
> do is use a Unicode export capable text editor (maybe CodeMax on Windows
> supports Unicode, but I don't know that) and save your scene files in a
> format called "UTF 8".  Alternatively, and if you need only very few or
> very special characters, it is feasible to use one of the Unicode font
> mapping tables available at <http://www.unicode.org/charts/> and
> manually insert the hex codes, for example \u0394 for the Greek capital
> letter delta.  But, as said, you will have to wait a few weeks (or more)
> for POV-Ray 3.5 ...

I'm definitely breathlessly awaiting 3.5 now. Now will 3.5 have isosurfaces,
or will I still have to get an unofficial patch to do that?

--
-The "D"
    A Thunderstorm is God's way of telling you you spend too much time on