POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media Question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Media Question (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: Media Question
Date: 14 Mar 2000 12:24:55
Message: <38ce75e7@news.povray.org>
With the camera and light above the following boxes, BoxA shows up as white
media, which is what I expected, but BoxB shows up as black - why is this?
After all, if you are looking down at a cloud from an airplane, beyond a
certain point the actual physical thickness of the cloud is not
particularily significant (is it?).

#declare BoxA =  // nice 'n' white
box
{
  <-10000, -1, -10000>
  < 10000,  0,  10000>
  pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
  hollow on
  interior{media{Plain_White_Scattering_Media}}
}

#declare BoxB = // completely black
box
{
  <-10000, -10000, -10000>
  < 10000,  0,  10000>
  pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
  hollow on
  interior{media{Plain_White_Scattering_Media}}
}

Post a reply to this message

> With the camera and light above the following boxes, BoxA shows up as white
> media, which is what I expected, but BoxB shows up as black - why is this?
> After all, if you are looking down at a cloud from an airplane, beyond a
> certain point the actual physical thickness of the cloud is not
> particularily significant (is it?).

Since no one else appears interested in answering your question, and I have
no informed answer for you myself, I will simply guess that the thicker
media container in example 2 will require a greater number of samples to
get similar results.

You didn't help much by not telling us what "Plain_White_Scattering_Media"
is either.

Hm.  Isn't that making a shadow then?  If there's a light above the thinner
white media box then there should be a shadow of that media and the other also.
And then there's light_source 'media attenuation'...  But like Ken said you
didn't say what the media statement has in it so it's tough to speculate on what
it's doing in the first place.

Bob

"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandluforce9couk> wrote in message
| With the camera and light above the following boxes, BoxA shows up as white
| media, which is what I expected, but BoxB shows up as black - why is this?
| After all, if you are looking down at a cloud from an airplane, beyond a
| certain point the actual physical thickness of the cloud is not
| particularily significant (is it?).
|
| #declare BoxA =  // nice 'n' white
| box
| {
|   <-10000, -1, -10000>
|   < 10000,  0,  10000>
|   pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
|   hollow on
|   interior{media{Plain_White_Scattering_Media}}
| }
|
| #declare BoxB = // completely black
| box
| {
|   <-10000, -10000, -10000>
|   < 10000,  0,  10000>
|   pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
|   hollow on
|   interior{media{Plain_White_Scattering_Media}}
| }

Post a reply to this message