POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media Question : Re: Media Question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Question
From: Tom Melly
Date: 15 Mar 2000 15:13:51
Message: <38cfeeff@news.povray.org>
Many thanks - I'll play with those settings. I must confess that media still
mystifies me - as soon as I seem to be able to make a model in my head of
what it does, it goes and bites me in the arse. Why, for example, should the
extinction value be so significant - particularily as the docs advise that
the default is the most accurate representation? IMHO If x units thickness
of media show as white, then so should x+y (when the media is viewed from
the lighted side). Is this an inaccuracy? (the thick media showing as
black) - if so why does megapov compound the error?

--
Tom Melly
tom### [at] tomandluforce9couk

Bob Hughes <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> I tried it out and although I don't fully know the reasoning behind it I
found
> putting  extinction .0025 into the 'scattering' statement fixes it.  The
logic
> seems right if there were 'media_attenuation on' in the light but I tried
adding
> that in as well with it both on and off, neither way makes a difference.
> Check it out using 0.0033 for the extinction and it's interesting.  My
guess is
> the missing link to 'density', it acts as though there is a  'density {rgb
1}'
> present I believe and if approximately  density {rgb .00025}  (or lower)
is used