POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Render Quality Problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Render Quality Problem (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Brendan Hurley
Subject: Render Quality Problem
Date: 26 Oct 1999 15:00:14
Message: <3815FA63.408EB0C1@saber.net>
Dear Folks,
I've been using POV since 1993 so I am an experienced user; I started
using POV 3.1g for Win95 about 2 months ago so I am also a new user with
this great new version.

Problem set up:
The INC file I am writing calls several other INC files.  One of them is
MY_TEXTURE.INC which is mostly declares *copied exactly* from the
standard INC files to save parsing time and memory.  I use the regular
QUICKRES.INI to swap between various qualities and sizes.  At +q6 thru 9
everything is fine, but at +q5 or less (for quick test renders) I get an
error message.  The error spot is indicated in the sample code below
with (*).

The Problem:
sample code:
#delare T_Wood2 =
   texture { pigment { P_WoodGrain2A
                           (*) color_map { M_Wood2A } } }

error msg:
cannot use color_map with this pattern type

The Soluton:
     < please, someone, fill this in...! >

I know that POV was written with a "typed" language and that in POV
files some "adjectives" are specific to some "nouns" ( i.e. specular
modifies a finish not a shape ).
Even with strong types the change in rendering quality should not
logically change
the compatibility of a type with its modifiers.

I've created a work-around in my files to do quick_color renders at +q9
but in my 1500+ line source code almost 300 lines are the work-around
code.  All that cutting and pasting is getting way too complicated and
tedious to simulate something that QUICKRES.INI was designed to do
automatically.

Respects,
              Brendan

--
Michael Brendan Hurley           ShadowDancerEnterprizes, LTD.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4969/index.html

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (3 KB)

> I've been using POV since 1993 so I am an experienced user; I started using POV 3.1g
for Win95 about 2 months ago so I am also a new user with this great new version.

> Problem set up:
> The INC file I am writing calls several other INC files.  One of them is
MY_TEXTURE.INC which is mostly declares *copied exactly* from the standard INC files
to save parsing time and
> memory.  I use the regular QUICKRES.INI to swap between various qualities and sizes.
 At +q6 thru 9 everything is fine, but at +q5 or less (for quick test renders) I get
an error message.
> The error spot is indicated in the sample code below with (*).
>
> The Problem:
> sample code:
> #delare T_Wood2 =
>    texture { pigment { P_WoodGrain2A
>                            (*) color_map { M_Wood2A } } }
>
> error msg:
> cannot use color_map with this pattern type
>
> The Soluton:
>      < please, someone, fill this in...! >
>
> I know that POV was written with a "typed" language and that in POV files some
"adjectives" are specific to some "nouns" ( i.e. specular modifies a finish not a
shape ).
> Even with strong types the change in rendering quality should not logically change
> the compatibility of a type with its modifiers.
>
> I've created a work-around in my files to do quick_color renders at +q9 but in my
1500+ line source code almost 300 lines are the work-around code.  All that cutting
and pasting is getting
> way too complicated and tedious to simulate something that QUICKRES.INI was designed
to do automatically.

> Respects,
>               Brendan
>

> --
> Michael Brendan Hurley           ShadowDancerEnterprizes, LTD.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4969/index.html
> http://www.saber.net/~mbhcgc/index.shtml
> mbh### [at] sabernet

From the docs:

Quick Color

When developing POV-Ray scenes its often useful to do low quality test runs
that render faster. The +Q command line switch or Quality INI option can be
used to turn off some time consuming color pattern and lighting calculations
to speed things up. See "Quality Settings" for details. However all settings
of +Q5 or Quality=5 or lower turns off pigment calculations and creates gray
objects.

By adding a quick_color to a pigment you tell POV-Ray what solid color to use
for quick renders instead of a patterned pigment. For example:

  pigment {
    gradient x
    color_map{
      [0.0 color Yellow]
      [0.3 color Cyan]
      [0.6 color Magenta]
      [1.0 color Cyan]
    }
    turbulence 0.5
    lambda 1.5
    omega 0.75
    octaves 8
    quick_color Neon_Pink
  }

This tells POV-Ray to use solid Neon_Pink for test runs at quality +Q5 or
lower but to use the turbulent gradient pattern for rendering at +Q6 and higher.

Note that solid color pigments such as

  pigment {color Magenta}

automatically set the quick_color to that value.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

From: Brendan Hurley
Date: 28 Oct 1999 22:48:35
Message: <38190B41.5061087@saber.net>
Dear Ken and Folks,

I appreciate your comments and help to me and all the other users whose questions you
answer, month after month.

...but...
< snip >

> > The Problem:
> > sample code:
> > #delare T_Wood2 =
> >    texture { pigment { P_WoodGrain2A
> >                            (*ERROR SPOT*) color_map { M_Wood2A } } }
> >
> > error msg:
> > cannot use color_map with this pattern type
> >
> > The Soluton:
> >      < please, someone, fill this in...! >

Ken answered:

> From the docs:
>
> Quick Color
> < snip >

...quoted all the info from the docs...
I have inserted proper quick_color notations in the texture and pigment declartions;
that's the first thing I thought of to fix the problem.  All I imagine is that I
missed one somewhere in the
code above the error spot, so the error persists.

I'll scan though the INC files once again hoping to locate something as simple as a
typo or missing definition.

I'll let you all know what I come up with over the weekend.

Blessings,
             Brendan

From: Ken
Date: 29 Oct 1999 00:02:00
Message: <38191BA3.A13B8B0A@pacbell.net>
Brendan Hurley wrote:

> Dear Ken and Folks,
>
> I appreciate your comments and help to me and all the other users
> whose questions you answer, month after month.

  Someone needs to answer these questions and it might as well be me :)

  I noticed that your question went unanswered for a while and with all
of the talent in these groups there is no excuse for allowing questions
to go unaswered.

> I have inserted proper quick_color notations in the texture and pigment
> declartions; that's the first thing I thought of to fix the problem.
> All I imagine is that I missed one somewhere in the code above the error
> spot, so the error persists.

  The problem I have is that I cannot reporduce your error message.

Using the code below which is your original + a quick color I rendered
it at several different quality levels. It simply would not fault where
you indicate it should or with the syntax you provided. I suggest you
do what you said and review the file you are working on for syntax or
proceedural errors on your part because the example you provided was
proceeduraly correct when I tried it.

#include "woods.inc"

#declare T_Wood690 =
   texture {
      pigment { P_WoodGrain2A
         color_map { M_Wood2A }
         quick_color red 1
      }
   }

sphere { 0,1
  texture { T_Wood690
  }
}

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

From: Steve
Date: 29 Oct 1999 23:50:19
Message: <381992CF.7F09035B@ndirect.co.uk>
Yes Quick colour works well, I've been using it this week,
it's the kind of thing that you don't look for in the docs
because you don't think it exists.

But I found that The following code won't work

sphere { 0,1
  texture { T_Wood690
    quick_colour Brown
   }
}

The answer is that the quick_colour statement must be inside
the pigment declaration braces "{}" eg: pigment{BlueMoon
quick_colour MidnightBlue}

Hope this helps Brendan?

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 30 Oct 1999 00:05:45
Message: <381A6E5E.384B6AC6@pacbell.net>
Steve wrote:

> Yes Quick colour works well, I've been using it this week,
> it's the kind of thing that you don't look for in the docs
> because you don't think it exists.

Coming from the older Pov v1.0 and v2.2 days along with operating on
a 386 system the use of quick color is very well known to me. With the
advent of later versions of the program and a much faster computer I
seldom if ever find a need for it. I usually know what slows down a
scene and can work around it without having to use the lower quality
settings or by resorting to the quick color pigments. I think experience
has a lot to do with it. I also generally don't have complicated textures
in my scene until I have it's basic structure laid out. This helps
with the time it takes in the early development stages.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

From: Steve
Date: 30 Oct 1999 11:30:45
Message: <381B0B0D.1152CC1A@ndirect.co.uk>
I think I probably do things the other way round, think of a
nice texture then try to decide what type of object I can
put inside it.  The current project that I'm working on
would be a good example of that, I wanted to make a
checkered texture on a coffee cup, (like some I've seen in
the real world), and then built a scene to show off my
layered texture. It'll be in P.B.I either today or tomorrow.