POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Render Quality Problem : Re: Render Quality Problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Quality Problem
From: Ken
Date: 28 Oct 1999 04:05:13
Message: <3818027D.279E1C19@pacbell.net>
Brendan Hurley wrote:

> Dear Folks,
> I've been using POV since 1993 so I am an experienced user; I started using POV 3.1g
for Win95 about 2 months ago so I am also a new user with this great new version.

> Problem set up:
> The INC file I am writing calls several other INC files.  One of them is
MY_TEXTURE.INC which is mostly declares *copied exactly* from the standard INC files
to save parsing time and
> memory.  I use the regular QUICKRES.INI to swap between various qualities and sizes.
 At +q6 thru 9 everything is fine, but at +q5 or less (for quick test renders) I get
an error message.
> The error spot is indicated in the sample code below with (*).
>
> The Problem:
> sample code:
> #delare T_Wood2 =
>    texture { pigment { P_WoodGrain2A
>                            (*) color_map { M_Wood2A } } }
>
> error msg:
> cannot use color_map with this pattern type
>
> The Soluton:
>      < please, someone, fill this in...! >
>
> I know that POV was written with a "typed" language and that in POV files some
"adjectives" are specific to some "nouns" ( i.e. specular modifies a finish not a
shape ).
> Even with strong types the change in rendering quality should not logically change
> the compatibility of a type with its modifiers.
>
> I've created a work-around in my files to do quick_color renders at +q9 but in my
1500+ line source code almost 300 lines are the work-around code.  All that cutting
and pasting is getting
> way too complicated and tedious to simulate something that QUICKRES.INI was designed
to do automatically.

> Respects,
>               Brendan
>

> --
> Michael Brendan Hurley           ShadowDancerEnterprizes, LTD.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4969/index.html
> http://www.saber.net/~mbhcgc/index.shtml
> mbh### [at] sabernet

From the docs:

Quick Color

When developing POV-Ray scenes its often useful to do low quality test runs
that render faster. The +Q command line switch or Quality INI option can be
used to turn off some time consuming color pattern and lighting calculations
to speed things up. See "Quality Settings" for details. However all settings
of +Q5 or Quality=5 or lower turns off pigment calculations and creates gray
objects.

By adding a quick_color to a pigment you tell POV-Ray what solid color to use
for quick renders instead of a patterned pigment. For example:

  pigment {
    gradient x
    color_map{
      [0.0 color Yellow]
      [0.3 color Cyan]
      [0.6 color Magenta]
      [1.0 color Cyan]
    }
    turbulence 0.5
    lambda 1.5
    omega 0.75
    octaves 8
    quick_color Neon_Pink
  }

This tells POV-Ray to use solid Neon_Pink for test runs at quality +Q5 or
lower but to use the turbulent gradient pattern for rendering at +Q6 and higher.

Note that solid color pigments such as

  pigment {color Magenta}

automatically set the quick_color to that value.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: