POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Textures Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Textures (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Eiko Thiessen
Subject: Textures
Date: 31 Aug 1998 14:19:29
Message: <35EB03BE.351D@phc.uni-kiel.de>
For a long time I used POV-Ray 2.2 and was very happy - nice thing. I
created a lot of realistic- looking sky-spheres for my pictures. I spent
a lot of time to find the right parameters for the clouds (using marble,
leopard, or something else), and I was quite happy with it. Then I
changed to version 3.02 (because of some nice features) and nothing
looks as it did before.

What happened? I guess the routines for creating the textures changed.
But what can I do to get my old skies and keep the new neat features???

Post a reply to this message

> For a long time I used POV-Ray 2.2 and was very happy - nice thing. I
> created a lot of realistic- looking sky-spheres for my pictures. I spent
> a lot of time to find the right parameters for the clouds (using marble,
> leopard, or something else), and I was quite happy with it. Then I
> changed to version 3.02 (because of some nice features) and nothing
> looks as it did before.
>
> What happened? I guess the routines for creating the textures changed.
> But what can I do to get my old skies and keep the new neat features???

  Can you provide an example of one of your textures that is no longer
working right. There were no major differences introduced in 3.02
that would be causing you problems. I would be happy to look at your
non working texture and offer some advice.

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Eiko Thiessen wrote in message <35E### [at] phcuni-kielde>...
>For a long time I used POV-Ray 2.2 and was very happy - nice thing. I
>created a lot of realistic- looking sky-spheres for my pictures. I spent
>a lot of time to find the right parameters for the clouds (using marble,
>leopard, or something else), and I was quite happy with it. Then I
>changed to version 3.02 (because of some nice features) and nothing
>looks as it did before.
>
>What happened? I guess the routines for creating the textures changed.
>But what can I do to get my old skies and keep the new neat features???

If the problem is with the colors (and not the patterns), it can be the
gamma settings, which was introduced with pov3. It's in the doc
somewhere...

If the problem is with the patterns, it could the ordering of textures and
objects transformations, as I think pov's behaviour changed for this from
v2 to v3.

I hope this helps,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message