POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Textures : Re: Textures Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:09:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textures
From: K  Tyler
Date: 2 Sep 1998 13:27:19
Message: <35ED7178.1B7038E6@pacbell.net>
Eiko Thiessen wrote:

> The version 2.2 of POV-Ray was producing clouds with the following code
> that looked more like fleecy clouds. Someone could say that it still
> looks good, but it is not the same and I liked the old one.
> And what is more the waves are heading to a different direction. What is
> going on here?
> It drives me to despair.
>
> Nevertheless, thank you for thinking about it.
>
> /* a few clouds */
> sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 4900 scale <1,0.075,1>
>   pigment{
>     granite
>     turbulence 0.1
>     color_map {
>        [ 0.0 color Clear ]
>        [ 0.3 color Clear ]
>        [ 1.0 color White ]
>     }
>     scale 1000
>   }
>   finish {ambient 0.7 diffuse 0}
> }

I did a render of your scene in both Pov 2.2 and 3.1beta6b
and you are correct. There is a difference. As was suggested
in the other posts to you question your bug is being caused
by a bug fix. I made one minor change to your clouds by
scaling it differently. Your fleecy clouds while not exactly
like they were are now back to being fleecy. Compare the
code above to the code below.
    Remember that there are many options available for
changing the way a pigment pattern can be manipulated.
Everything from 3 vector turbulence, to 3 vector scaling,
to the use of octaves, using frequency, wrapping several
pigments into a texture map, and many, many, more.

I can't say about the waves problem because I was
concentrating on the clouds and forgot about the
waves. Probably another victim of the bug fixes.
One thing though I think your blue is a little too blue.

The fun and challenge of using Pov is the ever evolving
nature of it.

Good luck.

K.Tyler

/* a few clouds */
sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 4900 scale <1,0.075,1>
  pigment{
    granite
    turbulence 0.1
    color_map {[ 0.0 color Clear ][ 0.3 color Clear ][ 1.0 color White ]}
    scale<1000,1300,1000>} // Changed from "scale 1000"
  finish {ambient 0.7 diffuse 0}}