POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:23 EDT (-0400)
  A modest proposal (Message 11 to 20 of 53)
From: Simon de Vet
Subject: Re: A modest proposal
Date: 30 Jun 1999 11:02:09
Message: <377A3ECE.B7B6EB4A@istar.ca>
Glen Berry wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:59:46 -0400, "Mark Wagner"
> <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>
> >I just had an idea for an improvement to the POV-Ray scene language:
> >
> >Get rid of all the object keywords except blob, julia_fractal, and poly.
> >
> >This would not prevent the use of the other types of shapes, as all of the
> >other shapes can be created from these basic types using only the
> >'intersection', 'union', and 'inverse' keywords.
>
> What about planes, triangles, and meshes? (Not to be confused with a
> comedy staring Steve Martin and John Candy.) Can these really be
> created with only the object types you mention?
>
> Incidently, for a "modest" proposal, this sounds pretty radical to me.

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

PS. For all you non Kibologists out there, this stands for "You have been
trolled. You have lost. Have a nice day."

PPS. Everyone is a Kibologist.

Post a reply to this message

From: Anders Haglund
Date: 30 Jun 1999 12:36:58
Message: <377a47aa@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner wrote:
> I just had an idea for an improvement to the POV-Ray scene language:
>
> Get rid of all the object keywords except blob, julia_fractal, and poly.
>
> This would not prevent the use of the other types of shapes, as all of the
> other shapes can be created from these basic types using only the
> 'intersection', 'union', and 'inverse' keywords.

What ever you are smoking you should quit using it...

/Anders

Post a reply to this message

>>I just had an idea for an improvement to the POV-Ray scene language:
>
> Incidently, for a "modest" proposal, this sounds pretty radical to me.

It's an allusion to Jonathan Swift's 1729 treatise, the full title of
which was "A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People
from Being a Burden to their Parents or the Country".

Swift's proposal was also satire.

--
Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/

Post a reply to this message