POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Johannes Bretscher
Date: 1 Jul 1999 16:24:51
Message: <377BCFA7.EC459915@rz.fh-muenchen.de>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Doing this has many advantages:
>
> First, it will make learning the language much easier.  By reducing the
> number of object type keywords from 23 to 4, plus the CSG keywords
> intersection and union.  All the other objects can be constructed from these
> basic objects.

Do you really think so? I think using the box keyword is much easier,
and
much easier to learn than using a poly with all its parameters.

> Second, it will reduce the time spent by the computer parsing the scene
> files.  With the reduced number of keywords, the POV-Ray parser will have a
> smaller list of words to check against, resulting in faster parsing and
> quicker detection of syntax errors.

Well, parsing time is not very often the longer time, when tracing an
image.

> Third, this would make writing utilities to convert to or, primarily, from
> the POV-Ray format significantly easier, as the programmer would have fewer
> object types to contend with.

If you have problems with that, why dont you have tools like yacc or
bison
doing this job for you? They come free with every Linux distribution and
make
creating a parser an much easyer job.

Perhaps the language would be easier to be read by computers, but IMHO
it
would never be human readable.

> With all the benefits that implementing this proposal would provide, I
> strongly urge the POV-Team to pursue this course of action.
>
> Mark

Jojo