POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! (Message 11 to 20 of 94)
From: BearFace
Subject: Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!!
Date: 9 Dec 1997 23:34:01
Message: <348E1BB9.4562@coastlink.com.au>
Brook Monroe wrote:

> The Y axis is UP?  What country did YOU study geometry in? <G> This is
> going to ruddy well make things difficult to produce in Moray, you know.

Yeah, it is....x is left-right, z is forward-back (into-outof), and y is
up-down....even maths geometry bears this out, on a 2d graph, x is
horizontal, y is vertical...if you add a third axis it Must be
forward/backwards.
--
** The only good politician is a dead politician.
** Email me: bay### [at] coastlinkcomau

Post a reply to this message

Actually, traditional cartesian coordinates in 3-space have a vertical z
axis with x going in and out and y left to right.

Ken

BearFace wrote in message <348### [at] coastlinkcomau>...
>Brook Monroe wrote:
>>
>> The Y axis is UP?  What country did YOU study geometry in? <G> This is
>> going to ruddy well make things difficult to produce in Moray, you know.
>
>Yeah, it is....x is left-right, z is forward-back (into-outof), and y is
>up-down....even maths geometry bears this out, on a 2d graph, x is
>horizontal, y is vertical...if you add a third axis it Must be
>forward/backwards.
>--
>** The only good politician is a dead politician.
>** Email me: bay### [at] coastlinkcomau
>** Believe 1% of what you see or hear.
>** Always read between the lines.

Post a reply to this message

> > The Y axis is UP?  What country did YOU study geometry in? <G> This is
> > going to ruddy well make things difficult to produce in Moray, you know.
>
> Yeah, it is....x is left-right, z is forward-back (into-outof), and y is
> up-down....even maths geometry bears this out, on a 2d graph, x is
> horizontal, y is vertical...if you add a third axis it Must be
> forward/backwards.
> --
> ** The only good politician is a dead politician.
> ** Email me: bay### [at] coastlinkcomau
> ** Believe 1% of what you see or hear.
> ** Always read between the lines.

  I disagree.  The Cartesian plane is 2D, x/y, traditionally considered to be
a flat horizontal surface (read "Flatland"), and we (the 3D folks) inhabit the
domains spread out along the Z axis.  To look at it another way, X is
east-west, Y is north-south, and Z is in the atmosphere or underground.  Don't
get all hornswoggled because your algebra teacher drew graphs on the
blackboard.

jbm!

Post a reply to this message