POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! : Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!!
From: Brook Monroe
Date: 11 Dec 1997 12:07:29
Message: <34901DD1.D4D09820@worldnet.att.net>
BearFace wrote:

> Brook Monroe wrote:
> >
> > The Y axis is UP?  What country did YOU study geometry in? <G> This is
> > going to ruddy well make things difficult to produce in Moray, you know.
>
> Yeah, it is....x is left-right, z is forward-back (into-outof), and y is
> up-down....even maths geometry bears this out, on a 2d graph, x is
> horizontal, y is vertical...if you add a third axis it Must be
> forward/backwards.
> --
> ** The only good politician is a dead politician.
> ** Email me: bay### [at] coastlinkcomau
> ** Believe 1% of what you see or hear.
> ** Always read between the lines.

  I disagree.  The Cartesian plane is 2D, x/y, traditionally considered to be
a flat horizontal surface (read "Flatland"), and we (the 3D folks) inhabit the
domains spread out along the Z axis.  To look at it another way, X is
east-west, Y is north-south, and Z is in the atmosphere or underground.  Don't
get all hornswoggled because your algebra teacher drew graphs on the
blackboard.

jbm!