POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood program but still develop Server Time
6 Jul 2022 22:07:07 EDT (-0400)
  Wood program but still develop (Message 24 to 33 of 49)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 14 May 2022 18:30:00
Message: <web.62802c7d5b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
> > Alternating light-dark / thick-thin growth rings
>
> I'm not sure. Is this the previous item I reply but I interpret your meaning
> wrong?

I think there are several aspects of tree rings that are all sort of
interrelated.

https://www.theforestacademy.com/tree-knowledge/annual-growth-rings/

When you abrade wood, erode it - like with driftwood, or stain it, you get an
enhancement of the grain.  This is due to the alternating hard/soft regions, and
usually the soft regions are light, and the harder regions are more brown.
Maybe xylem and phloem?


> > Holes due to boring insects
> > "checking" (cracks) due to splitting when cut wood is rapidly dried
>
> Are you a professional person? Maybe we can discuss it. I don't know so much
> about it.

I don't do anything with wood for a living, but I've felled, sawn, and worked
with lots of different wood.  And made plenty of mistakes.

https://blog.spib.org/shakes-checks-and-splits-in-dimension-lumber/

https://thetoolscout.com/how-to-dry-wood-fast-for-woodworking/



> > Then there's the fun of formulating pigment/texture maps for all of the
> > different species...  ;)
>
> My living country don't have much ... oak, pine ..., which species I see in the
> book. (Not the same)
> I'm not very familiar with these.

Thankfully there are now millions of images that you can search to see what any
types of wood look like, and all of the variations and defects, some of whick
are highly sought after - liked spalted wood.


Post a reply to this message

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 15 May 2022 10:20:00
Message: <web.62810b265b6ed24a7adfb56aa81652d@news.povray.org>
Browse your links roughly. Thank you.
Careless reading because I still effort on existed plane.


This one I cancelled the vertical pattern because it looks artifact.
And I try using several pattern (vs different age) superposition , because I
would like maintain the fiber length at different position.

This one about 0.1m.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function test several f with bumps l0.10.png' (813 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function test several f with bumps l0.10.png'
show tree function test several f with bumps l0.10.png


 

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 15 May 2022 10:25:00
Message: <web.62810c255b6ed24a7adfb56aa81652d@news.povray.org>
And this one about 0.01m.

With some artifact during the position it shows staggered.
I should think a better method.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function test several f with bumps l0.01.png' (863 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function test several f with bumps l0.01.png'
show tree function test several f with bumps l0.01.png


 

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 15 May 2022 11:00:00
Message: <web.6281144d5b6ed24a7adfb56aa81652d@news.povray.org>
I'm satisfied with this one, but with heavier coverage it is not so natural.
And variety for the height is a problem (I cancelled the original form, the new
one is list-to-do).

I found pigment_map should be a better method to composite the base color with
the thin fiber. Thus the fiber can be a darker color than the base. I still use
the 'average', but I will rewrite it.


If the output pigment want to maintain the fiber length, wood heart is another
challenge, I have tried some method, but no perfect one.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function test bumps l0.01 thickness0.07year near.png' (1759 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function test bumps l0.01 thickness0.07year near.png'
show tree function test bumps l0.01 thickness0.07year near.png


 

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 16 May 2022 09:20:00
Message: <web.62824ec25b6ed24d2153b25aa81652d@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> "And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
> > "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> When you abrade wood, erode it - like with driftwood, or stain it, you get an
> enhancement of the grain.  This is due to the alternating hard/soft regions, and
> usually the soft regions are light, and the harder regions are more brown.

Thanks for this knowledge.




>
> > > Holes due to boring insects
> > > "checking" (cracks) due to splitting when cut wood is rapidly dried
> >
> > Are you a professional person? Maybe we can discuss it. I don't know so much
> > about it.
>
> I don't do anything with wood for a living, but I've felled, sawn, and worked
> with lots of different wood.  And made plenty of mistakes.

Here is no chance to fell a tree, not to mention I'm living in a city. Such a
thing is secluded to me, so I have respect to the people who can do these
things.



> > > Then there's the fun of formulating pigment/texture maps for all of the
> > > different species...  ;)


That's right, I will use pigment_map, but this is a picture I rendered, improved
the defect yesterday, and this is a two layered(in fact average of two) pattern
with different fiber length, eliminate some artifact about the coherence.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function two fiber length 0.017m 0.048m.png' (1763 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function two fiber length 0.017m 0.048m.png'
show tree function two fiber length 0.017m 0.048m.png


 

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 17 May 2022 09:20:00
Message: <web.6283a0ca5b6ed24d2153b25aa81652d@news.povray.org>
Before continue the pigment_map and color, I tried a incredible detail idea
yesterday that I thought recently. Can be a new target to complete in the
future.

It is the knot.
But I'm willing to develop this feature with not so accurate shape only, I'd
like to implement it with (as much as possible) simple mathematical formula.


https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Longitudinal-section-through-a-tree-trunk-and-branch-Mueller-et-al-2006_fig1_274618
751


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download '2d tree knot test.png' (1405 KB)

Preview of image '2d tree knot test.png'
2d tree knot test.png


 

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 24 May 2022 05:05:00
Message: <web.628c9ec65b6ed24213813f7aa81652d@news.povray.org>
Composite pigment_map and functions is more cumbersome than I think. I only
treat preconceived it easy.

The earlywood color and merge effect is not bad, but maybe strange at latewood.
Not know, should look the side cross section,  but for the purpose of trying the
pigment/color_map as quickly, I don't fix that varying function (vs height) yet.

This picture take 18m47s render time, It will slow down when combine more
(layer, concept)s.
And my main method is distinguish the heartwood, inner-sapwood, mid-sapwood,
outer-sapwood..., this one I only detail the mid-sapwood.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function.png' (830 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function.png'
show tree function.png


 

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 24 May 2022 06:55:00
Message: <web.628cb8f85b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> This picture take 18m47s render time, It will slow down when combine more
> (layer, concept)s.

That seems like a very long time for such a simple render.  I would imagine that
you can get a similar result a lot faster if the troubles were identified and
optimised.  I like to consult Inigo Quilez, and Martijn Steinrucker (Art of
Code), since their approach to computer graphics is very different, and forces
me to consider different approaches and ways to simplify and optimize any
function-based code I'm interested in writing.
TOK always has a way of slicing through a lot of these problems like a laser,
but I think it's very educational to explore a number of approaches before
others offer up solutions of their own.

> And my main method is distinguish the heartwood, inner-sapwood, mid-sapwood,
> outer-sapwood..., this one I only detail the mid-sapwood.

As slow as it is, I think that middle layer is looking great, and your progress
in this project is definitely showing incremental successes!  :)


Post a reply to this message

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 24 May 2022 10:10:00
Message: <web.628ce6465b6ed24213813f7aa81652d@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> "And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
>
> > This picture take 18m47s render time, It will slow down when combine more
> > (layer, concept)s.
>
> That seems like a very long time for such a simple render.  I would imagine that
> you can get a similar result a lot faster if the troubles were identified and
> optimised.  I like to consult Inigo Quilez, and Martijn Steinrucker (Art of
> Code), since their approach to computer graphics is very different, and forces
> me to consider different approaches and ways to simplify and optimize any
> function-based code I'm interested in writing.
Thank you. I never develop my (not chinese)social circle besides news.povray.
Maybe I can try someday.

And, that rendered picture is a 3D one, not a pattern. It turn on radiosity and
rendered using my notebook, so I'm not suspect this situation too much.



> TOK always has a way of slicing through a lot of these problems like a laser,
> but I think it's very educational to explore a number of approaches before
> others offer up solutions of their own.
>
> > And my main method is distinguish the heartwood, inner-sapwood, mid-sapwood,
> > outer-sapwood..., this one I only detail the mid-sapwood.
>
> As slow as it is, I think that middle layer is looking great, and your progress
> in this project is definitely showing incremental successes!  :)

Thanks.


Post a reply to this message

From: And
Subject: Re: Wood program but still develop
Date: 24 May 2022 10:30:00
Message: <web.628ceade5b6ed24213813f7aa81652d@news.povray.org>
With a very similar setting, whole box, I redraw the shape. There is an artifact
line...,
Now I know it does not finish yet.

My personal purpose is output the UV-map for some mesh 3D model, I modeling them
in Blender now.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'show tree function.png' (1623 KB)

Preview of image 'show tree function.png'
show tree function.png


 

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.