POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood program but still develop : Re: Wood program but still develop Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:38:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood program but still develop
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 May 2022 06:55:00
Message: <web.628cb8f85b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> This picture take 18m47s render time, It will slow down when combine more
> (layer, concept)s.

That seems like a very long time for such a simple render.  I would imagine that
you can get a similar result a lot faster if the troubles were identified and
optimised.  I like to consult Inigo Quilez, and Martijn Steinrucker (Art of
Code), since their approach to computer graphics is very different, and forces
me to consider different approaches and ways to simplify and optimize any
function-based code I'm interested in writing.
TOK always has a way of slicing through a lot of these problems like a laser,
but I think it's very educational to explore a number of approaches before
others offer up solutions of their own.

> And my main method is distinguish the heartwood, inner-sapwood, mid-sapwood,
> outer-sapwood..., this one I only detail the mid-sapwood.

As slow as it is, I think that middle layer is looking great, and your progress
in this project is definitely showing incremental successes!  :)