POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood program but still develop : Re: Wood program but still develop Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:02:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood program but still develop
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 May 2022 18:30:00
Message: <web.62802c7d5b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> > Alternating light-dark / thick-thin growth rings
>
> I'm not sure. Is this the previous item I reply but I interpret your meaning
> wrong?

I think there are several aspects of tree rings that are all sort of
interrelated.

https://www.theforestacademy.com/tree-knowledge/annual-growth-rings/

When you abrade wood, erode it - like with driftwood, or stain it, you get an
enhancement of the grain.  This is due to the alternating hard/soft regions, and
usually the soft regions are light, and the harder regions are more brown.
Maybe xylem and phloem?

> > Holes due to boring insects
> > "checking" (cracks) due to splitting when cut wood is rapidly dried
>
> Are you a professional person? Maybe we can discuss it. I don't know so much
> about it.

I don't do anything with wood for a living, but I've felled, sawn, and worked
with lots of different wood.  And made plenty of mistakes.

https://blog.spib.org/shakes-checks-and-splits-in-dimension-lumber/

https://thetoolscout.com/how-to-dry-wood-fast-for-woodworking/

> > Then there's the fun of formulating pigment/texture maps for all of the
> > different species...  ;)
>
> My living country don't have much ... oak, pine ..., which species I see in the
> book. (Not the same)
> I'm not very familiar with these.

Thankfully there are now millions of images that you can search to see what any
types of wood look like, and all of the variations and defects, some of whick
are highly sought after - liked spalted wood.