POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Normal Map usage Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:31:47 EDT (-0400)
  Normal Map usage (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: McHannemann
Subject: Normal Map usage
Date: 14 Jun 2006 05:25:01
Message: <web.448fd4dededa1fff270ce0e40@news.povray.org>

how do I setup a material so that it uses a normal map?

REgards,
Thor

Post a reply to this message

From: McHannemann
Subject: Re: Normal Map usage
Date: 14 Jun 2006 06:00:01
Message: <web.448fddc43881b643270ce0e40@news.povray.org>
"McHannemann" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> how do I setup a material so that it uses a normal map?
>
> REgards,
> Thor

To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with red,
green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
bump map Thor

Post a reply to this message

> To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with red,
> green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
> bump map Thor

  Could you be more specific on how you would want the red, green and blue
components of the texture to affect the normals?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with red,
> > green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
> > bump map Thor
>
>   Could you be more specific on how you would want the red, green and blue
> components of the texture to affect the normals?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp
Hmm like in all other 3d packages where you use normal maps instead of bump
maps
the renderer uses it to identify the axis of the "Bump" and therefor
delivering
a far better result here is a good explanation of this issue:
http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/normal.html

regards,

THor

Post a reply to this message

From: McHannemann
Date: 19 Jun 2006 03:00:01
Message: <web.44964afa3881b6432dd2aee50@news.povray.org>
Hi Warp,
did the link(http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/normal.html)
help to understand what I wanted?

Regards,
THor

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 19 Jun 2006 03:16:15
Message: <44964f3f@news.povray.org>
> To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with
red,
> green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
> bump map Thor

Unfortunately, POV-Ray doesn't support this sort of normal map format.

I've seen a utility which can convert normal maps into height maps, but I
can't seem to find it now... =(

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Jun 2006 04:21:16
Message: <44965e7c@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>> To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with
> red,
>> green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
>> bump map Thor
>
> Unfortunately, POV-Ray doesn't support this sort of normal map format.
>
> I've seen a utility which can convert normal maps into height maps, but I
> can't seem to find it now... =(

Maybe you mean this one:
http://66.70.170.53/Ryan/heightmap/heightmap.html

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

From: McHannemann
Date: 20 Jun 2006 17:30:01
Message: <web.449868893881b64354a00b890@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> > To be a bit more clear what I meant is to use a normal map texture(with
> red,
> > green and blue info for the normal vector infos) instead of a grey scale
> > bump map Thor
>
> Unfortunately, POV-Ray doesn't support this sort of normal map format.
>
> I've seen a utility which can convert normal maps into height maps, but I
> can't seem to find it now... =(
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

I just hope that they implement it or to implement displacement mapping,
either one would make me very happy :-D

Thor

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime