POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ever worry about it all crashing down? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Ever worry about it all crashing down? (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Ever worry about it all crashing down?
Date: 12 Nov 2001 22:41:04
Message: <3bf09650@news.povray.org>
I once tried to make scaffolding for a WTC-sized tower out of cylinders,
easily more than 20,000 of them.  The result was essentially an
unworkable file, as it only rendered slowly and with much disk-swapping
on my 384MB RAM, 1GHz Athlon.

Have you ever been afraid to try something for fear you're only going to
lock up your system or exceed the abilities of the software?  I have
been playing around with dozens of several-hundred- component blobs.
Sometimes when something goes wrong, it only turns out to be a bug in my
code, but I fear my ship is about to just fall of the edge of the
pov-earth. Using Corel products (Draw and Dream3D), this actually
happened, and I stopped playing with these toys.  Povray, so far, has
largely exceeded my ability to wreck it.

I suppose if I were more computer literate, I'd have a more rational
response to the whole thing.  I only comprehend the workings of  P-FETs
& the povray SDL, and very little inbetween.

Post a reply to this message