POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ever worry about it all crashing down? : Re: Ever worry about it all crashing down? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ever worry about it all crashing down?
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 13 Nov 2001 11:24:08
Message: <3BF14984.E72DC185@atosorigin.com>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Kari Kivisalo wrote:
>
> > Computers and software are just tools. Switching power off and on
> > cures any lock up.
>
> No, I don't mean crash. The question is whether you've been unable to do
> something because it exceeded the capabilities of the system (such as say
> 100,000 cylinders), and if fear prevents you from trying some ambitious
> projects.

On a 'classical' 800x600 image, there is only 480 000 pixels.
With 100 000 cylinders, that give about 4.8 pixels per cylinders.
I do not even bother to render, it cannot be interesting (no details).

Note: I once go very far with a set of Tree mesh, so far in fact that
my whole set of swap partitions (about 1 giga at that time) was fully
used (as well as the 256 Mo of memory, not running the hungry X11 (50Mo),
so with very little memory foot print for the system [linux]).
Parsing time was very slow, povray was happy, the system just hits the limit,
and stopped that silly parsing & rendering. (Or may be stopped as well, I do
not remember).