POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Smoke Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Smoke (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Joel Gilmore
Subject: Smoke
Date: 22 Nov 1999 03:29:25
Message: <383A18F2.92F05850@mail.flashmail.com>
Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would model smoke coming off
say a cigarette?
Would using an image of smoke as an imagemap with a transparent
background (can you do that?) work if it was pointed directly at the
camera?  I suppose if I made the object with the imagemap partly
transparent, it would look not too bad.
Or does anyway know of a "better" way to do this?
Cheers,
Joel
PS-And if the imagemap's the way to go, anyone got any good ideas on how
to draw smoke? :0)

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would model smoke coming off
> say a cigarette?
> Would using an image of smoke as an imagemap with a transparent
> background (can you do that?) work if it was pointed directly at the
> camera?  I suppose if I made the object with the imagemap partly
> transparent, it would look not too bad.
> Or does anyway know of a "better" way to do this?
> Cheers,
> Joel
> PS-And if the imagemap's the way to go, anyone got any good ideas on how
> to draw smoke? :0)

I think I have a better solution. Check out the SmokeGen include file at:
http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/smokegen/smokegen.htm

This file uses POV-Ray's media feature to create smoke.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would model smoke coming off
> say a cigarette?
> Would using an image of smoke as an imagemap with a transparent
> background (can you do that?) work if it was pointed directly at the
> camera?  I suppose if I made the object with the imagemap partly
> transparent, it would look not too bad.
> Or does anyway know of a "better" way to do this?
> Cheers,
> Joel
> PS-And if the imagemap's the way to go, anyone got any good ideas on how
> to draw smoke? :0)

I managed quite a convinsing smoke a while back, using a cone extending
slowly out from the source, then texturing it with a marble texture (most of
which was transparent)

It worked o.k. but was  very tricky to align and scale the texture to get
the right effect, even resorting to a bit of csg to cut out a few bits of
phantom smoke.

it worked perfectly for what i wanted, which was a small part of the scene,
more of an added effect than a feature.

i doubt it would work well, if you entire scene was called "look at my smoky
cig"

Rick

Post a reply to this message