POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Smoke : Re: Smoke Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke
From: Rick
Date: 22 Nov 1999 04:21:34
Message: <38390b1e@news.povray.org>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would model smoke coming off
> say a cigarette?
> Would using an image of smoke as an imagemap with a transparent
> background (can you do that?) work if it was pointed directly at the
> camera?  I suppose if I made the object with the imagemap partly
> transparent, it would look not too bad.
> Or does anyway know of a "better" way to do this?
> Cheers,
> Joel
> PS-And if the imagemap's the way to go, anyone got any good ideas on how
> to draw smoke? :0)

I managed quite a convinsing smoke a while back, using a cone extending
slowly out from the source, then texturing it with a marble texture (most of
which was transparent)

It worked o.k. but was  very tricky to align and scale the texture to get
the right effect, even resorting to a bit of csg to cut out a few bits of
phantom smoke.

it worked perfectly for what i wanted, which was a small part of the scene,
more of an added effect than a feature.

i doubt it would work well, if you entire scene was called "look at my smoky
cig"

Rick