POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Smoke : Re: Smoke Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Nov 1999 10:35:18
Message: <EV85OF2dujqhfCTkaeOwj26mKIiJ@4ax.com>
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:32:51 -1000, Joel Gilmore
<rah### [at] mailflashmailcom> wrote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would model smoke coming off
>say a cigarette?
>Would using an image of smoke as an imagemap with a transparent
>background (can you do that?) work if it was pointed directly at the
>camera?  I suppose if I made the object with the imagemap partly
>transparent, it would look not too bad.
>Or does anyway know of a "better" way to do this?
>Cheers,
>Joel
>PS-And if the imagemap's the way to go, anyone got any good ideas on how
>to draw smoke? :0)

Image map is a good idea for a quick solution (i.e. non-media). The
easiest way to create it that I can think of is using Eye Candy's
Smoke plugin gfor PhotoShop and PainShop Pro. If you don't have access
to it, I'll make it for you. I used to be a long-time smoker till
recently so I have a pretty good idea how cigarette smoke looks.

The other replies already indicated the rest of the (most common) ways
to make smoke.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700