POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Florian Brucker
Subject: Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies?
Date: 7 Jan 2005 09:07:25
Message: <41de979d@news.povray.org>
I've been thinking about this for a while and I simply can't find a
reason why it is not possible to copy a CSG object in the same, memory
saving way you can copy meshes.
My knowledge of the POV sources is very limited, so please correct me if
I'm wrong, but IMHO copies of the same mesh are simply references to the
same internal dataset, i.e. pointers, and additional data like
transformations. Why can't the same technique be applied to CSG objects
as well? Is this a general, algorithmic problem or is the way things are
handled in the POV-Ray sources the reason for this?

Please not that this is is not a feature request, but simply a question
out of curiosity. Also, I found this group a better place to ask than
p.programming, but again please correct me if I'm wrong.

Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p

Post a reply to this message

> I've been thinking about this for a while and I simply can't find a
> reason why it is not possible to copy a CSG object in the same, memory
> saving way you can copy meshes.
> My knowledge of the POV sources is very limited, so please correct me if
> I'm wrong, but IMHO copies of the same mesh are simply references to the
> same internal dataset, i.e. pointers, and additional data like
> transformations. Why can't the same technique be applied to CSG objects
> as well? Is this a general, algorithmic problem or is the way things are
> handled in the POV-Ray sources the reason for this?

HISTORY is your one-word answer.
CSG were implemented far before mesh even become available.
Moreover, mesh was perceived as a huge memory-filler, and was therefore
optimised (because, at that time, even 4 megabytes of memory could have
been luxury), whereas CSG is usually feeled like a simple (and short) tree.
(a CSG operation, a sphere and a plane, that's short!)

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.

Post a reply to this message