POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies? : Re: Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why are CSG copies different from mesh copies?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Jan 2005 09:25:36
Message: <Xns95D79CEE2BB73jgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> I've been thinking about this for a while and I simply can't find a
> reason why it is not possible to copy a CSG object in the same, memory
> saving way you can copy meshes.
> My knowledge of the POV sources is very limited, so please correct me if
> I'm wrong, but IMHO copies of the same mesh are simply references to the
> same internal dataset, i.e. pointers, and additional data like
> transformations. Why can't the same technique be applied to CSG objects
> as well? Is this a general, algorithmic problem or is the way things are
> handled in the POV-Ray sources the reason for this?

HISTORY is your one-word answer.
CSG were implemented far before mesh even become available.
Moreover, mesh was perceived as a huge memory-filler, and was therefore
optimised (because, at that time, even 4 megabytes of memory could have
been luxury), whereas CSG is usually feeled like a simple (and short) tree.
(a CSG operation, a sphere and a plane, that's short!)

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.