POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Glows for Povray3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Glows for Povray3.5 (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Ghost
Subject: Glows for Povray3.5
Date: 8 Apr 2003 17:02:11
Message: <3E9338D0.465D8046@duratechindustries.net>
This has likely been asked before, and likely in a different forum,
but....

Glows were a fantastic feature of MegaPov.  I understand they weren't
"included" in Povray3.5, but has anyone come up with a way to fake them,
or recreate them accurately using just Povray3.5 code?  If so, I'd love
to hear how, and learn.  I want to stick with 3.5, but I really miss the
simplicity of "glow objects"...

-Lawrence

Post a reply to this message

Ghost <flu### [at] duratechindustriesnet> wrote:
> Glows were a fantastic feature of MegaPov.  I understand they weren't
> "included" in Povray3.5, but has anyone come up with a way to fake them,
> or recreate them accurately using just Povray3.5 code?  If so, I'd love
> to hear how, and learn.  I want to stick with 3.5, but I really miss the
> simplicity of "glow objects"...

-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------
#macro Glow(GlowColor, Scale)
  sphere
  { 0, 1 hollow no_shadow
    pigment { rgbt 1 }
    interior
    { media
      { emission 1/Scale
        density
        { spherical density_map
          { [0 rgb 0][.5 rgb GlowColor*.5][1 rgb 1]
          }
        }
        samples 1,1 intervals 1 confidence .1
      }
    }
    scale Scale
  }
#end

camera { location -z*10 look_at 0 angle 35 }
plane { y,-2 pigment { checker rgb 1, rgb .5 } }

light_source
{ <-1.5,1,0>, <1,.5,0>
  looks_like { Glow(<1,.5,0>, .5) }
}