POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Glows for Povray3.5 : Re: Glows for Povray3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glows for Povray3.5
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 1 Jun 2003 15:32:47
Message: <ltlft3lhtjl8$.yln2fz2knvaq$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:02:09 -0500, Ghost wrote:

> This has likely been asked before, and likely in a different forum,
> but....
>
> Glows were a fantastic feature of MegaPov.  I understand they weren't
> "included" in Povray3.5, but has anyone come up with a way to fake them,
> or recreate them accurately using just Povray3.5 code?  If so, I'd love
> to hear how, and learn.  I want to stick with 3.5, but I really miss the
> simplicity of "glow objects"...
>
> -Lawrence

My solution was to look at the entire scene through a mirror and declare
the camera inside a macro. You would give the mirror a finish{reflection 1
specular SomeBrightnessValue roughness GlowSize} and place light sources
wherever you want your glows to be. I made an include file but it was
incredibly awkward and not very accurate (since it used a plane mirror). I
might revisit it if Real Life would ease off for a little while.

I posted an animation of my system in action a while ago:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/30872/?ttop=31809&toff=50

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE