POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Waterdrops on Glass... How? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Waterdrops on Glass... How? (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How?
Date: 14 Jan 2003 16:21:55
Message: <3e247f73$1@news.povray.org>

3e240121$1@news.povray.org...
> I've uploaded a zoomed-version on the window,
> http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights/rain_1.jpg

Looks like a good start. Perhaps the droplets should be more homogeneous in
shape, though it depends on whether it's still raining or not. Here are some
reference images if you haven't got them.
http://www.danheller.com/images/Italy/Tuscany/rain-window-big.jpg
http://www.pacamera.com/memberGalleries/ammac/rainWindow.jpg
http://www.sengers.ch/special/tropfen.jpg

> How did you place those droplets of yours? Using trace?
> Though some look like the gravitational-pull is actually
> affecting the droplet. How'd you do that?

The trouble is that the code isn't commented...
From what I understand of it, it first creates a grid of droplets in a u,v
plane, because I had observed that in real life dew droplets are somehow
organised and not 100% random (it's different from the rain-beated window
then). The macro is given attractor points that draw droplets to them
(droplets far from the attractor are smaller), with some gentle
function-based displacement. This allows "lines" of droplets of decreasing
size to be created (it's more visible here
http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/abeilles.jpg). It's far from perfect but
100% random positionning was really unrealistic.
The u,v positions and sizes of the droplets are stored in arrays and are
then wrapped around the object (a simple cylinder in this case) as a single
blob.
About the gravitational pull, I remember doing it but I can't find it in the
code so perhaps it's just luck...

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com